[News] [Rival] Nothing New to Find in Vista, Apart from Microsoft Spin, Lies, and Hype

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Nothing New to Find in Vista, Apart from Microsoft Spin, Lies, and Hype
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 14:14:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Why upgrade to Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now let's discuss Microsoft's four reasons to upgrade. First, the
| improvements in searching for data. I use Google Desktop which gives me
| Google's world class search functionality across all my files and emails. The
| cost...Zero! It runs great on XP. No need to upgrade for this.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/madgreek/archives/why-upgrade-to-vista-18534

Vista Basic vs XP: IT pros

,----[ Quote ]
| These are the features Microsoft labelled the "core vista experience". There
| are quite a few of them, so in this part I will go through those more
| specifically targeted at IT professionals.
|
| Pluggable logon authentication architecture: correct me if I'm wrong, but
| isn't this something that has been available in Unix systems for years?
|
| [...]
|
| Application Compatibility features: no kidding, it's actually listed as a
| feature in the official MS documentation.
`----

http://vista-how-to.blogspot.com/2007_08_26_archive.html

More hilarious spin (commissioned 'studies'), just days after another
commissioned 'study' argued that Vista saves in terms of hardware costs,
compared to XP (?!?!?!?!?!).

Is Microsoft Vista Global Warming Friendly?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Microsoft Vista global warming friendly? Could Vista be the best selling
| cleantech product in the world? I was thinking about this question the other
| day, and started emailing the Microsoft press relations folks
| looking for an answer.
|
| The Microsoft answer - yes it is. They have a recent release
| entitled "Windows Vista Power Management Features Can Help UK Companies
| Reduce Their Carbon Footprint" on some independent research they had done by
| PC Pro Labs in the UK.
`----

http://www.cleantechblog.com/2007/09/is-microsoft-vista-global-warming.html

Related:

Here is where they talk about hardware costs:

Microsoft starts a "Get the Facts" campaign...against itself

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine the kind of savings you could get if you just stopped using Windows
| altogether! Few to no security issues. Less administration. Etc.
|
| By the way, the study claims that switching to Vista saves on hardware costs.
| How could this possibly be, when everything I have ever read on Vista is that
| it is a resource hog? You spend more on hardware with Vista, not less.
|
| Anyway, Microsoft must really be hurting if it has to resort to beating up on
| its most stable product in years. It's clearly desperate to get people to
| move off XP (you know, the Windows OS that actually has hardware/peripheral
| support, a lot of software written for it, needs a lighter hardware platform,
| etc.). Maybe the open-source crowd should just wait for Microsoft to beat
| itself into oblivion.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9773662-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Vista poses environmental dangers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Vista could have serious environmental implications,
| experts have warned.
|
| The latest version of Windows uses encryption methods that are
| incompatible with some older PCs. It also features high-end
| graphics capabilities that can only run on newer hardware.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/news/2174400/vista-poses-environmental

Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

,----[ Quote ]
| Beau Baconguis of the Southeast Asia section of the environmental
| protection organization Greenpeace has warned that the introduction
| by Microsoft of its new operating system Windows Vista might as a
| side effect trigger a deluge of electronic waste (E-waste). "With
| Vista, Microsoft could effectively hasten the obsolesence of half
| the world's PCs, especially in the absence of fully-functioning
| global take back systems for PCs," Ms. Baconguis declared.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84816/from/rss09

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]