[News] [Rival] Microsoft Acknowledges Its Old Business Models Are Ending, Resorts to Cheating

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Acknowledges Its Old Business Models Are Ending, Resorts to Cheating
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:35:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ads Funding Software Applications Available Via The Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Some analysts see these apps as a threat to Microsoft, which makes many
| top-selling conventional apps. But Microsoft is developing its own moves for
| ad-funded software.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/070907/tech01.html?.v=1

They have already begun with anti-Netscape-like dirty tricks that they need to
survive. Wait for more antitrust actions.

Judge lets Google file brief in Vista search antitrust battle

,----[ Quote ]
| Google was naturally irked by this and responded by saying that Microsoft's
| changes were not enough. Google's chief legal officer said that the changes
| violated the 2002 consent decree between the Department of Justice and
| Microsoft and limited consumer choice.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070907-judge-lets-google-file-brief-in-vista-search-antitrust-case.html
http://tinyurl.com/2b5s4s

Now they start modifying Windows 'on the fly', possibly adding links and
context menu items to channel people /away/ from rivals.

Related:

Microsoft to partners: It's time to change

,----[ Quote ]
| Aiming to rally its partners around the reality of hosted software, Microsoft
| Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner told them it was a matter of financial
| life and death.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6195764.html

Microsoft ties Windows Live services to OS in updates

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is tying its Windows Live services directly to its Windows OS.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/070905mslivesvcs/index.html

A Software Maker Goes Up Against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| When quizzed on Microsoft's plans, Mr. Ballmer replied, "Our view is
| that virtualization is something that should be built into the
| operating system."
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/24/technology/24soft.html?ex=1172898000&en=bbca645a927ef7f8&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
http://tinyurl.com/35jkur

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
| up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
| repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
| against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
| rejection of a complaint by Google.
|
| [...]
|
| In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
| antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
| prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
| Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
| behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
| operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
| search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Office: Go Smaller To Get Bigger

,----[ Quote ]
| Success here also could underscore efforts overseas, as Microsoft seeks to
| turn customers using pirated software into those actually paying for it.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/office_go_smaller_to_get_bigger.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Microsoft pushes Office 2007 with 'try-before-you-buy'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is shipping limited-use copies of Office 2007 with PCs in a
| try-before-you-buy scheme to seed the market with its latest suite and drive
| Windows server and client software sales.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/07/12/microsoft_office_2007_try_before_buy/

How Microsoft bought China

,----[ Quote ]
| When all is said and done, the real reason why Microsoft is "winning" in
| China and has won elsewhere is that Microsoft is willing to break the law,
| pay the fines, dump products on the market at far below cost, and continue on
| in the belief that in the long run the costs of doing business the Microsoft
| way will win out over the higher quality, security and features of Mac OS X
| and the Linux desktop.

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
|
| "It isn't illegal to be successful," Conlin said in opening
| remarks. "We applaud that. ... But you can't freeze out competitors
| and punish and retaliate against people who cooperate with
| competitors. Microsoft did all that and more."
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

French consumer group attacks PC software bundling

,----[ Quote ]
| UFC-Que Choisir legal officer Sandra Wouhling said current
| practice effectively forced ordinary consumers to buy computers
| using Microsoft operating systems whereas companies anda
| dministrations were offered a real choice.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061214:MTFH94365_2006-12-14_14-49-22_L14537403&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/yf7kfu

How much abuse will you take from Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, actually, there is one thing you could do. You could switch
| from vermin-ridden Windows to a desktop Linux. For businesses, I
| recommend SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop) 10. For home users,
| Ubuntu 6.06, SimplyMEPIS 6.0, Xandros 4, or Freespire are all
| excellent choices.
|
| [...]
|
| My only hope for most of these poor fools is that Vista's price tag will
| make them at least consider an alternative to Windows on their desktops.
| And, since Microsoft doesn't have a strangle-hold on the portable music
| market, buyers will have the good sense to not give Zune a chance to
| trap their music in a new Microsoft DRM (digital rights management)
| prison.
`---

Microsoft boosts mobile services

,----[ Quote ]
| Live Search on Windows Mobile and Live Search on Java allow people
| to search for local businesses without any typing and to save
| information to contacts, map directions or make a call with one click.
`----

http://news.com.com/2110-1039_3-6158242.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Larry Ellison on Microsoft's prebundling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssX4RL24HT4

Where Should Vendors Stick Their Services?

,----[ Quote ]
| Wondering if you noticed the news over at Microsoft Watch this week
| that Microsoft has done what many considered inevitable: Started
| using Windows as a way to hawk Windows Live Services?
|
| It's not too surprising to me that Microsoft is splashing all over
| its Welcome to Vista screen (at least in one of the latest Vista test
| builds, No. 5506) promotional links, inviting users to download Windows
| Live Messenger, Windows Live OneCare, Windows Live Mail Desktop, and more.
| But I was surprised the Redmondians would be so bold as to actually
| embed Windows Live Messenger into Vista. After all the antitrust
| lawsuits Microsoft has been slapped with here, there and everywhere ?
| many of which have focused on its "innovative integration" (a k a,
| bundling) strategies, you'd think they'd be a little more cautious.
|
| With the actual Windows Live Messenger code (not just a download link)
| being integrated right into Vista, I think Microsoft might be really
| going out on a limb. When backed into a corner before about its
| integration strategy, Microsoft's defense was that removing any of
| the integrated components (Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player,
| etc.) would break the OS. But if Vista test builds have been working
| just fine (well, middling, maybe, based on some not-so-happy tester
| comments) without Windows Live Messenger, how can Microsoft make a
| case for it being part of Windows?
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,2005413,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Connecting the dots on Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| I would have asked one more follow up: Was Gates hinting that
| Microsoft will build more of its currently standalone Windows
| Live services right into the operating system?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=241

Welcome to college, here's your Windows Live account

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/4/23/3719

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Software manufacturers, citing 2004 European Commission finding,
| contend the operating system violates server laws in Europe.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

'Microsoft broke anti-trust agreement,' prosecutors claim

,----[ Quote ]
| It's claimed Microsoft's engineers used at least 500 undocumented APIs
| to ensure Microsoft's applications worked better with Windows than
| those of competitors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/microsoft_breached_antitrust/

Microsoft rivals file second European complaint

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bAF5B8FB2-488F-4468-80B8-21F6EEE223E3%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2ybdot