Re: Microsoft's browser market share drops 9.5 percent in a year

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Saturday 08 September 2007 22:06 : \____

> <Quote>
> Microsoft Explorer's share of the browser market has fallen almost 10
> percent in the past 12 months, to 63.9 percent, mostly at the expense
> [sic] of Firefox which has boosted its share from 11.8 to 17.4
> percent.
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14373/1054/
>
> I think he means that Firefox has increased market share, mostly at
> the expense of IE.  But no one can write these days.
>
> Microsoft deserves it, for claiming falsely that IE was an integral
> and irremovable part of the OS, for years of dirty tricks with
> standards, and for doing nothing to improve IE for years until Firefox
> came along and gave them a little competition.  Why anyone thinks
> monopoly is good for the consumer is beyond me, but if you pay people
> enough they will say and do anything.

They tried to stifle what was able to compete with the desktop monopoly --
Web-based applications. They perceived this back in 1995 or so. Again, as I
said before, the Gates deposition tapes fit here nicely.

Microsoft "knifed the baby". It chose to put the Net on hold and leave
innovation in the Web inside the freezer. Why? Money.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: stop maintenance; get more actual work done