[News] VM Security Measured using Linux, Linux Virtualised on Apple PCs

  • Subject: [News] VM Security Measured using Linux, Linux Virtualised on Apple PCs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 03:27:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Finally, A Way To Measure Real Security On A Virtual Machine

,----[ Quote ]
| When implementing ESX Server, not every system administrator realizes that
| he's dealing with a version of Red Hat Linux at its core with Red Hat's VAR
| log directory, allowing Linux product makers to generate a directory of
| information specific to their users.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201804364

A look at VMware Fusion

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're a Linux user who's just been issued an Apple computer, you might
| want to look into a virtualization solution for Mac OS X. VMware's Fusion,
| which was officially released from beta at the beginning of the month, works
| well for running Linux (or other x86/AMD64 OSes) on the Mac desktop, and
| provides a great solution for multi-OS users who need simultaneous access to
| all their operating systems on the same machine.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118935

In a recent interview, Dell made it clear that virtualisation is the way to go,
even on desktops.

Microsoft knows all of this. It intends to prebundle its virtualisation
software, it has just stolen Xen from Linux, and it wants to take down VMWare.
It wants to pull another Netscape and kill VM innovation just as it killed
Internet innovation (Web-based applications) until Firefox took command.

Related:

Dell Creating Consumer PCs Complete with Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| And in a similar fashion to what Parallels and VMware Fusion did for the
| Intel-based Mac community, this could give the Linux operating system a boost
| from consumers who want to use the open source software but don't want to
| lose out on what Microsoft's Windows platforms offer.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtualization/archives/2007/08/dell_creating_c.html

Dell to stuff hypervisors in flash memory

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell CTO Kevin Kettler today confirmed these plans during a speech here at
| LinuxWorld, saying the company expects to see major performance and
| power-saving improvements by dumping a hypervisor in flash. Customers will
| basically "boot to a virtual machine-ready" state, he said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/07/dell_hypervisor_flash/

Will VMware's sales double forever?

,----[ Quote ]
| With Vista and Longhorn Server consuming Microsoft's top talent, the company
| thought it could wait until 2008 to really ramp the virtualization work. Big
| mistake.
|
| VMware now owns a massive market share lead in the server virtualization
| space, has built out the broadest available set of management packages and
| can use its IPO funds to buy talent and technology.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/23/vmware_microsoft_double/

Microsoft cuts Windows virtualization features

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is changing three key features of the hypervisor
| technology to try to stick to its schedule of releasing the
| technology within 180 days of completing its Windows Server
| "Longhorn" operating system, due to be finalized before the
| end of the year.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6182852.html

A Software Maker Goes Up Against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| When quizzed on Microsoft's plans, Mr. Ballmer replied, "Our view is
| that virtualization is something that should be built into the
| operating system."
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/24/technology/24soft.html?ex=1172898000&en=bbca645a927ef7f8&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
http://tinyurl.com/35jkur

Virtual PC and the Value of Free

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday's release of Virtual PC 2007 continues a longstanding
| Microsoft trend: Give away free something valuable to gain market
| share against a dominant competitor.
|
| [...]
|
| Lower cost is a good tactic, but Microsoft has done much better with
| free--and really valuable technology. Probably the best-known example
| is Internet Explorer, which Microsoft integrated into Windows
| during the browser wars with Netscape. While Netscape had to
| separately sell its product, Microsoft could give away its
| competing software for free. Microsoft regarded its Web browser
| as adding value to Windows, so it gave away the technology as
| a way of enhancing the appeal of the operating system and
| subsequently sales. On the server, Microsoft took on Netscape
| software by giving away for free FrontPage (for creating Web
| sites) and Internet Information Server (for hosting Websites).
|
| Windows Media Player is another example. Microsoft invested
| $500 million developing Windows Media Player 9 Series, which
| the company gave away for free with Windows XP. Other
| companies, such as RealNetworks, charged for their digital
| media products. Microsoft's bundled the software, for free,
| as way of enhancing Windows' appeal. Like Netscape and other
| developers, Real had to give away--and open-source--its core
| digital media technology in response to Microsoft's free software.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/virtual_pc_and_the_value_of_free.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/3826f6

Ubuntu on Virtual PC 2007 - No way dude!

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of people have asked me whether it's possible to install
| Linux onto a Virtual PC 2007 virtual machine.  Well, since I had
| an Ubuntu ISO on my desktop I decided to give it a go.
|
| The short answer is no.  It won't.  I thought that it might but
| my optimism was short-lived.  The graphics are all messed up.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=273

Microsoft slashes Windows XP price to fend off Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has slashed prices on Windows XP and Office to join the
| Thai government's "people's PC" project, a move which could help
| curb the spread of the rival Linux operating system in the country.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,2136259,00.htm

Gates Deposition Audio and Video

,----[ Quote ]