[News] Samba 4 Enters Testing Phase, Microsoft Uses 'Puppets' to Fight Samba

  • Subject: [News] Samba 4 Enters Testing Phase, Microsoft Uses 'Puppets' to Fight Samba
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 02:30:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
First alpha version of Samba 4 available

,----[ Quote ]
| Although not all of them are new, the changes are promising. Licensed under
| GPLv3, Samba 4 now mimes an "Active Directory" domain controller in addition
| to including a LDAP server as a user database and a Kerberos Key Distribution
| Center (KDC) for authentication. The software allegedly also replaces Windows
| file systems and NT-ACLs better. The insides of the server can reportedly
| also be influenced by means of JavaScript.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/95604/from/rss09

Open source proponents denounce Microsoft licensing program

,----[ Quote ]
| Five years after being pegged a monopolist, Microsoft is coming under
| scrutiny for efforts to license its proprietary technology in accordance with
| antitrust legal demands from U.S. and European regulators.
|
| [...]
|
| “We read the license,” says Allison about MCPP. “It’s impossible to release
| open source implementations of the product. You have to keep it secret. This
| defeats the whole idea of open source.”
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/090607-open-source-denounce-microsoft-licensing.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Binary bridges. Thank you, Novell, Xandros, Linspire, and others. It seems like
Linspire's chairman has just found a new venture after what SJVN called "an
executive exodus" (at Linspire).

Ajax Startup Launches Web Desktop Linked To Gmail

http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201804416

Related:

Samba 3 preview release behaves more like Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| The changes also push Samba 3 along its path toward making Linux
| machines behave a bit more like Windows, said Samba release
| manager Jerry Carter.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1249044,00.html?track=sy184

FLOSS Weekly 14: Jeremy Allison of Samba

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.twit.tv/floww14