Re: [News] [Rival] Edinburgh's Council Locks Itself in to Microsoft's Monopoly

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 06 September 2007 17:06 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 06 Sep 2007 01:39:12 +0100
> <1425593.I5jnop91Bc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 05 September 2007 16:41 : \____
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Wed, 05 Sep 2007 04:50:02 +0100
>>> <9601132.YlorqA9QdY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> [snippage]

>>> There is a flip side; Gentoo is subject to occasional
>>> disruptions if someone upstream makes a major change.
>>> The biggest one in recent memory is the xorg refactoring;
>>> that was mildly painful, but ultimately beneficial.
>>> KDE has also been refactored, though I don't remember how
>>> recently.  The expat rev is probably giving everyone minor
>>> headaches, but on Gentoo a rebuild is easily enough done.
>>>
>>> Presuambly other distros also had to deal with these
>>> issues, in their own ways.
>>>
>>> There are also possible issues with kernel
>>> incompatiabilities, but these are rare, even
>>> if one's still on 2.4.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, yes; the fact that freeware distro packages
>>> are easily identifiable tends to make them more easily
>>> patchable.  Certainly the xorg refactoring is a cakewalk
>>> compared to, reportedly, application and driver issues
>>> with Vista.
>>>
>>> So, uh, why would I want to downgrade to Vista again? ;-)
>>
>> I have been getting the impression that Gentoo is now
>> associated with tension and flamewars, but I was pleased
>> to see that there are many Gentoo users...  off the top
>> of my head it would be over 2 million of them (although
>> counting is impossible). And that's desktops alone,
>> not servers. The Zunbox runs Gentoo and other embedded
>> devices also... some devices in places like China hide the
>> fact that they use Linux (and probably violate the GPL).
>
> I wouldn't know regarding china.  I'm one of the Gentoo
> users; it is a stable, flexible distro.  Its main problem
> may be ease of setup -- but the Handbook helps in that
> regard.
>

>> Gentoo is still quite a hero of security (like Debian)
>> with quite a strong track record (there was a mild
>> setback recently, but only because of proactive
>> measures).
>>

> Their package database is still being audited, as of this
> morning.

I hear that Sabayon is loaded with about 7 GB of programs (uncompressed). While
it doesn't mean 'Registry bloat' (many installation do not slow Linux down or,
if so, it's not a linear function), it means less stability and consistency.

Of course, you could also use an apt-get-based distro. I  really love being
able to fetch any piece of software within 10 seconds by just typing its name.
The same goes for removal and updates.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
Cpu(s): 27.2%us,  4.7%sy,  1.0%ni, 62.2%id,  4.4%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st