Re: [News] Sun Prepares for Major Changes Amid Attempted Assault on Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 06 September 2007 16:57 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 06 September 2007 14:46 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> This is very very interesting - I predict some significant consolidation
>>> in the linux supply market.  I wonder if they're after Red Hat?
>>> Mandriva might be a less expensive bet, though.
>>
>> RPM based? Murdock?
>>

> Well, it won't be Debian!  Maybe they'll resuscitate progeny, or perhaps
> make a grab for one of the others, like Mepis, say?  Or will we see a
> joint-venture with Ubuntu?  Perhaps even a buy-out?

Well, we needn't fear Sun, but I think that they'll stick with OpenSolaris.
Linux buyout won't make much sense, IMHO, for purely technical reasons (never
mind community reactions).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
         run-level 2  2007-08-06 21:07                   last=