[News] Linux Has Transformed Network Infrastructures, Finds Study

  • Subject: [News] Linux Has Transformed Network Infrastructures, Finds Study
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 12:23:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ATCA Adoption Remains Strong Despite New Challenges

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is changing the software makeup of network infrastructures through new
| devices at the control layer and network layer
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/embedded/11695/atca-adoption-remains-strong-despite-new-challenges

More good news:

Embedded Linux vendor attains support certification

,----[ Quote ]
| The company claims to be the only embedded Linux provider certified under the
| Service Strategies "Support Center Practices" (SCP) program.

8-Port Device Server incorporates Linux for Device Networking

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux incorporated PS810 supports competitive edge features such as
| flexible operation mode, TCP/UDP multicasting, telnet COM port control
| protocol support (RFC2217 compliant), SSL encryption, and port event
| handling. The unit is based on the embedded Linux and a 32-bit microprocessor
| platform.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9928.html

Will Enterprise Open Source Scale the Walled Gardens of the Cellular Network
Providers?

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately, I've been researching the feasibility of running Linux on any of the
| several excellent smartphone platforms out there. There's the long running
| Treos 650/680/700 that have a lot of units in service and surprisingly
| consistent internal technology with which to focus an open OS development
| team on. Developer interest in the platform seems to be growing (link to
| shadowmite and hack'n dev).
|
| [...]
|
| All of this is a leap in level of service and an order of magnitude drop in
| cost. Are the cellular providers going to like it? No. Can they stop it? Yes.
| They can lock their phones from being taken over by the open source
| community. Will they succeed? I don't know but the question is "what doesn't
| run Linux these days?"
`----

http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/400928_p.htm

Linux gains real-time networking stack

,----[ Quote ]
| An Austrian vendor of real-time networking stacks for automotive,
| off-highway, and aeronautics use has pledged to port its flagship
| technology to Wind River Linux.

Linux networking stack scales to 64 virtual MIPS64 cores

,----[ Quote ]
| 6WindGate says its commercial Linux networking stack supports
| a Continuous Computing (CCPU) ATCA board powered by 16
| MIPS64-compatible cores.

Development Kit Simplifies Design of Linux Based Device Networking Products

,----[ Quote ]
| Oxford Semiconductor has introduced a software development kit for
| its OXETHU954 network connectivity controller chip aiming to
| dramatically simplify the design of Linux based device
| networking products.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/embedded/9974/development-kit-simplifies-design-linux-based-device-networking-products
http://tinyurl.com/ys4e4y

Linux powers gigabit-Ethernet fiber modem design

,----[ Quote ]
| PMC-Sierra is shipping a Linux-based hardware/software reference design
| for a high-speed optical network terminator (ONT), the "modem" in
| fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) networks based on passive optical networking
| (PON).

Open Source Communications Appliances Becoming the 'Rage' These Days

,----[ Quote ]
| The open-source PBX space is generating more and more interest
| among resellers and corporations alike. It seems the move from
| software to appliances is a good one and I expect the uptake
| of open-source communications products to be greater than ever.
`----

http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/open-source/articles/5895-open-source-communications-appliances-becoming-rage-these-days.htm
http://tinyurl.com/2g9a6p

Network and IT management platforms (and the GPL software beats HP and IBM)

,----[ Quote ]
| GOLD AWARD:   OpenNMS
|
| The open source OpenNMS takes home the gold award in our network
| and IT management platforms category. The network management system
| was designed as a replacement for more expensive commercial products.
| It periodically checks that services are available, isolates problems,
| collects performance information, and helps resolve outages. And it's
| free.
`----

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/productsOfTheYearCategory/0,294802,sid7_tax306257_ayr2007,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/2jxbdr

Linux powers next-gen multicore home networking design

,----[ Quote ]