[News] ATI Opens Up Specs, Collaborates with Open Source Developers, and Makes Code Donations

  • Subject: [News] ATI Opens Up Specs, Collaborates with Open Source Developers, and Makes Code Donations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 11:27:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
A new road for AMD and ATI

,----[ Quote ]
| Back at the Red Hat Summit, Henri Richard said that AMD (and the former ATI)
| were going to come up with a plan to better support open source. Today we see
| the results of that promise and I have to say I’m incredibly impressed with
| the commitment that they have decided to make.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=302

Related:

AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether you are using a Radeon X300 purchased a few years ago or the Radeon
| X1950PRO, the 8.41 driver is noticeably faster. How much faster? In many
| cases it is about 50% faster while in some configurations it may go as high
| as 90% or more. In fact, in some benchmarks the Mobility Radeon X300 was over
| 10x faster!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=821&num=1

Free ATI drivers for Christmas?

,----[ Quote ]
| "They know that we exist, because I've talked with a few people," he
| says. "And AMD may be wanting open source drivers."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118724

Open-Source ATI Driver Gets TV-Out Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to recent commits in the RandR 1.2 branch for the open-source X.Org
| Radeon driver, it's now possible to use S-Video and composite TV output on
| your ATI graphics card without any patches.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=806&num=1

Avivo R500 Linux Driver Status

| A month ago we told you that Avivo v0.1.0 (the open-source ATI R500 X1000
| Linux driver) was coming soon, but still we have not seen this release.
`----

http://phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTk2NQ

Avivo vs. Fglrx Driver In GtkPerf

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can see from the timed results, the GTK+ performance when using
| the Avivo driver with ShadowFB enabled had sharply outperformed the
| 8.39 fglrx driver (partly due to the CPU operations).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=779&num=1

ATI R200 TV-Out In Open-Source Driver

,----[ Quote ]