Re: Linux to Recover More Wasted Memory

On 6 Sep, 01:11, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Linux: Slab Defragmentation
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Christoph noted that the patch is difficult to validate and measure
> | because, "activities are only performed when special load situations are
> | encountered." He then pointed to updatedb as something that typically
> | triggers slab defragmentation on his systems...
> `----
>
> http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Slab_Defragmentation
>
> Some new bit and examples of CFS here:
>
> http://lkmltimes.brucalipto.org/announce/deskopt-005-completely-unfai...
>
> Related:
>
> Ext3 File System for performance in Windows
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As an idea that was sparked by using a shared Ext3 File System between a
> | dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows, what would happen if you went as far as
> | installing Windows-native games on that shared Ext3 partition? Think of the
> | benefits: no need to defragment that massive Hard Disk of yours every now
> | and again. This guide will update as I experiment more.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | I think this idea would work very well for any program/game with a
> | large amount of files, due to Ext3's more streamlined architecture.
> |
> | As I say, I'm just experimenting with this, but it's working very
> | well.
> `----
>
> http://mazza558.googlepages.com/home

I think Microsoft should patent the requirement to defragment a hard
disk.  As far as I know, no other OS saves to disk in such an
arbitrarily wasteful fashion.  Every HDD I've ever had to defrag has
belonged to a Windows system.  The need to defrag is perhaps
Microsoft's unchallenged contribution to the science of inefficiency.