[News] Microsoft and 'Analysts' Spin Figures to Discreit Linux (Again)

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft and 'Analysts' Spin Figures to Discreit Linux (Again)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 00:06:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Like a drunk with a lampost

,----[ Quote ]
| So those that have not adopted Linux are expected to continue to not do so,
| but there is room for considerable uptick amongst those that have.
|
| "Statistics are like a drunk with a lampost: used more for support than
| illumination."
| Sir Winston Churchill
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/09/like_a_drunk_wi.html

More FUD, which was propagated using Microsoft usual shills, including
InformationWeek and Barron's. Amazing.

Related:

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

“There’s an interesting article in the April 2007 issue of Harper’s magazine
about panels, audits, and experts. It is called CTRL-ALT-DECEIT and is from
evidence in Comes v. Microsoft, a class action suit in Iowa. Here’s a
paragraph from a document admitted into evidence, called “Generalized
Evangelism Timeline,” about guerrilla or evangelical marketing:

Working behind the scenes to orchestrate “independent” praise of our technology
is a key evangelism function. “Independent” analysts’ reports should be
issued, praising your technology and damning the competitors (or ignoring
them). “Independent consultants should write articles, give conference
presentations, moderate stacked panels on our behalf, and set themselves up as
experts in the new technology, available for just $200/hour. “Independent”
academic sources should be cultivated and quoted (and granted research money).

They advise cultivating “experts” early and recommending that they not publish
anything pro-Microsoft, so that they can be viewed as “independent” later on,
when they’re needed. This type of evangelical or guerilla marketing is
apparently quite common in the high-tech fields, and seems to be used
liberally by open source developers.

The document admitted into evidence also says, “The key to stacking a panel is
being able to choose the moderator,” and explains how to find “pliable”
moderators–those who will sell out.

It is all a big money game. Most activists in any field know of
countless “hearings,” in which hundreds of citizens would testify before a
panel, only to be ignored in favor of two or three industry “experts.” When a
panel is chosen, the outcome seems to be a foregone conclusion. As with
elections, they don’t leave anything to chance.”
(a post from a Mark E. Smith about exhibit PX03096 “Evangelism is War” from
Comes v. Microsoft).