[News] [SOT] Copyright Laws Gone Wild, Person Denied Access to Own Work

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Copyright Laws Gone Wild, Person Denied Access to Own Work
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:38:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OUP wants me to pay for my own Open Access article

,----[ Quote ]
| The journal wishes to charge me 48 USD to:
|
|     * USE MY OWN ARTICLE
|     * ON WHICH I HOLD COPYRIGHT
|     * FOR NON-COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (TEACHING)
|
| The journal is therefore
|
|     * SELLING MY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
|     * WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
|     * AGAINST THE TERMS OF THE LICENCE (NO COMMERCIAL USE)
|
| I am lost for words...
`----

http://wwmm.ch.cam.ac.uk/blogs/murrayrust/?p=529

Some people *do* get it. Information/knowledge, just like software shouldn't
necessarily become a commodity.

Google Custom Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Guha was able to help me understand the significance of the recent
| announcement with the Hewlett Foundation of the Open Educational Resources
| search portal.
|
| [...]
|
| For example, a MIT implementation of the OE Search portal could choose to
| boost mit.edu sites, providing higher visibility for MIT's OpenCourseWare
| offerings.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/09/custom_search_d.html

Related and very recent: