[News] [News] Linux Adopted in Israeli Education, Swiss Library

  • Subject: [News] [News] Linux Adopted in Israeli Education, Swiss Library
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:46:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Source in Israeli Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the comments mentioned that the Eagle Israel company is running Linux
| projects in 8 schools in Petach-Tikwa.
`----

http://www.opensourceguy.net/2007/09/03/open-source-in-israeli-schools/

Linux at the Library?

,----[ Quote ]
| It is friendly and it is free and it is being used at the Geneva Public
| Library. Come and visit and see what all the fuss is about. I bet you will
| like it.
`----

http://genevapubliclibrary.org/content/view/37/50/

Switzerland had some Microsoft OOXML corruption corrected recently (apparently
they tossed the vote after irregularities).

Related (Linux in Switzerland and Microsoft corruption):

Switzerland moving to open document

,----[ Quote ]
| M. Francois Marthaler, mayor elect for the Swiss Canton of Vaud (a canton
| is an administrative district, in Vaud's case covering ~700,000 people)...
| told the conference that Vaud are planning a move to open source and open
| standards, including OD Format. Further on we learnt that they have all
| the right motives, understand the benefits and the risks and have clearly
| planned this move carefully. The delegates also learnt that this
| commitment to open source/open standards in public administration
| was spreading throughout Switzerland.
`----

http://opendocumentfellowship.org/node/214

FSFE, SIUG File Official Objections to Switzerland's Vote on MS-OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| It all reminds me of when I was a kid, and we'd sometimes settle things in
| the playground with a coin toss. There was occasionally a smart aleck who'd
| yell out as the coin was thrown up into the air, "Heads I win, Tails you
| lose." This ISO process seems like that, in that people are voting against
| MS-OOXML in numbers and raising serious questions, but somehow they get
| ignored or bypassed.

Swiss Cheese [for OOXML]

,----[ Quote ]
| The present spin doctors of Microsoft and ECMA managed to convince Mr.
| Thomann to reject every serious technical and general concern we had
| regarding OOMXL by pointing to compatibility reasons. At the end we had a
| majority against Microsoft but which (giving the unfair rules) results in a
| Swiss vote for Microsoft. Mr. Thomann was fretting and fuming at the end of
| the meeting how it can be that successful international companies (we had
| representatives from IBM, Google, ...) vote against the best interest of
| their customers and theirself!
|
| Yes, this is how the democratic system at SNV / ISO works. After the meeting
| I could not eat as much as I wanted to puke...
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-15521/swiss-cheese

Swisscom decision points the way to the Red Hat ecosystem sale

,----[ Quote ]
| You just won't get this from Oracle, IBM, HP, or anyone else. You also won't
| get an end-to-end open-source offering, providing the customer with a
| pay-for-value model and reduced lock-in, that is supereasy to administer.
| Swisscom says, "The acquisition of JBoss by Red Hat was a stroke of luck for
| us. This way we profit from the same outstanding price-performance ratio at
| the middleware layer as well as on the operating system level."
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759486-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

Debian GNU/kFreeBSD amd64 development machine

,----[ Quote ]
| The Debian GNU/kFreeBSD porters are pleased to announce that there is now a
| Debian GNU/kFreeBSD amd64 machine available to the Debian developers. It is
| kindly hosted by "ETH Zürich, Department of Physics". We would like to thank
| them for their contribution to the GNU/kFreeBSD development.

Optaros Assembles Open Source Web 2.0 App for Swisscom

,----[ Quote ]
| The solution was implemented in an aggressive time frame leveraging a
| large range of internet based services and open source components.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/366993_p.htm

Micronas Creates Industry-First With Support of Open-Source TV for PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Linux offers field-proven performance, reliability, andf
| lexibility that -- combined with its cost effectiveness --
| makes it attractive to many OEMs and system integrators.
|
| Micronas partners and open-source promoters the Metzler
| Brothers have pioneered digital television support for Linux.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070521/0255435.html

ImCoSys Presents a Linux Smartphone with Integrated GPS

,----[ Quote ]
| The Swiss company ImCoSys presents its smartphone at CeBIT 2007
| with a special module designed to be used by the government's
| inspection department, with an integrated SiRF III GPS chip
| with an internal antenna.
`----

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20070322/imcosys-presents-a-linux-smartphone-with-integrated-gps/
http://tinyurl.com/2wh296

paldo 1.9 released

,----[ Quote ]
| paldo 1.9 has been released with many bug fixes and updates.
|
| Enhancements to point out:
|
|     * OpenOffice 2.1
|     * X.org 7.2
|     * Linux 2.6.19.2
|     * glibc 2.5
`----

http://www.paldo.org/

Software innovator first to deliver enterprise services for leading open
source content repository

| "pache Jackrabbit is an attractive option for companies who want to
| move away from expensive, proprietary legacy repositories and are
| looking for a cost efficient, standards-based alternative,"said
| David Nüscheler, CTO of Day Software and SpecLead of the JSR170
| expert group.
`----

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=26804

Linux robots swarm onto lab floor