[News] Is the Linux-based Vyatta the Red Hat of Routers and Cisco's Worst Nightmare?

  • Subject: [News] Is the Linux-based Vyatta the Red Hat of Routers and Cisco's Worst Nightmare?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:46:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Vyatta: A high-end Linux-based firewall and router

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's play a Linux word association game. Red Hat is to Microsoft as Vyatta
| is to Cisco.

Free x86 Linux router distro rev'd

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta Community Edition 2.2 ("Camarillo") features security and flexibility
| enhancements to the BGP (border gateway protocol) stack, and usability
| enhancements related to NAT (network address translation) and DHCP (dynamic
| host configuration protocol).

California city connects with open-source networking

,----[ Quote ]
| Reliance on open source has been inexpensive and stable, says IT
| manager for Madera, Calif.
|
| [...]
|
| In Madera's case, two Vyatta Inc. routers that run on the Debian
| GNU/Linux-based open-source operating system helped Wheeler consolidate
| routers in the city's data center last year. By eliminating eight Cisco
| routers that needed upgrading in order to accommodate additional traffic, he
| said he saved the city $16,000, spending about one-third of what he would
| have spent on the Cisco router upgrade.
|
| In a more dramatic money-saving move, the city did a complete network upgrade
| to implement a voice-over-IP system based on Asterisk, an open-source PBX
| system from Digium Inc. in Huntsville, Ala. The Asterisk VoIP system cost
| about $120,000, whereas a Cisco system would have run about $400,000, he
| said.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=open_source&articleId=9027911&taxonomyId=88&intsrc=kc_top
http://tinyurl.com/32s83e

Q&A: Vyatta CEO on open-source networking

,----[ Quote ]
| Since it launched its first open-source routing platform late last year,
| Vyatta has sold multiple deployments worth more than $100,000 each. Vyatta
| chief executive Kelly Herrell said these yields are a sworn testimony to the
| willingness of enterprise to aggressively leverage open source.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=545E09A1-B31B-462F-BFBD-0934BFA78257

Hyperic Joins Vyatta Ready Partner Program and Expands Open-Source Networking
Ecosystem

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta, the leader in Linux-based networking, today announced that
| Hyperic, the leader in multi-platform, open-source systems management,
| has joined the Vyatta Ready partner program.
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070626005513&newsLang=en#0394735271148521978
http://tinyurl.com/2s2gce

Datatrend Technologies to Integrate Vyatta Open-Source Networking on IBM
Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta, the leader in Linux-based networking, today announced that
| Datatrend Technologies, an IBM Business Partner specializing in
| data center optimization for more than 20 years, has joined the
| Vyatta Ready partner program and will distribute Vyatta's
| open-source networking software as a fully integrated appliance
| using IBM System x and BladeCenter servers.
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070620005025&newsLang=en#2053411798258883839

Partner Progam: Vyatta Partner Program To Accelerate Adoption Of Open-Source
Networking

,----[ Quote ]
| "Developing our Vyatta Ready partner program is an important step in
| the rapid growth of our global partner ecosystem, which we believe
| will make our Linux-based networking solution a standard fixture
| in growing networks and data centers around the world," said Keith
| Hartley, vice president of alliances at Vyatta.
`----

http://www.itreselleronline.com/content/news/article.asp?docid=ffc059ac-bca4-4d4a-bc27-de0e3b34a69c&atc~c=771+s=773+r=001+l=a&VNETCOOKIE=NO

Comcast invests in Vyatta, open source router maker

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has raised a total of $18.5 million so far. The
| investment indicates that cable carriers are getting serious
| about chasing the small and medium sized businesses, and
| competing with the telephone companies in more than just
| consumer markets.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2007/04/01/vyatta-comcast/

Vyatta Delivers Twice the Performance of Cisco at Half the Price

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.topix.net/content/prweb/2794294903426800112404643709233288209670