[News] Blu-ray Gains Momentum at Microsoft's Expense

  • Subject: [News] Blu-ray Gains Momentum at Microsoft's Expense
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:36:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Acer backs Blu-ray

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer has thrown its weight behind the Blue-ray Disc to become the fifth
| big-name computer maker to back the next-gen optical disc format. It's
| launched a BD-equipped media centre PC to affirm its intentions.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/31/ifa_acer_bluray/

Sony breaks out 'mass market' Blu-ray players

,----[ Quote ]
| Both models also support a wide variety of formats and media, including the
| still centrally important CD.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/31/ifa_sony_blu_ray/

Recent:

Two Studios to Support HD DVD Over Rival

,----[ Quote ]
|     But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive
|     about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD
|     DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but
|     who asked not to be identified.
|
|     The incentives will come in a combination of cash and promotional
|     guarantees. Toshiba, for instance, will use the release of “Shrek the
|     Third” as part of an HD DVD marketing campaign.
|
|     Paramount and DreamWorks Animation declined to comment. Microsoft, the
|     most prominent technology company supporting HD DVDs, said it could not
|                                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
|     rule out payment but said it wrote no checks. “We provided no financial
|     incentives to Paramount or DreamWorks whatsoever,” said Amir Majidimehr,
|     the head of Microsoft’s consumer media technology group.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html?ei=5088&en=d4e1f285e2f41437&ex=1345348800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1187698143-B5wO3L/F+4r1NyAsum87vQ

Classic SCO/Baystar scenario. They probably use a proxy to pay incentives.