[News] Linux Improves Hibernation Performance, AMD Beats Abusive & Deceitful Intel on Efficiency

  • Subject: [News] Linux Improves Hibernation Performance, AMD Beats Abusive & Deceitful Intel on Efficiency
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:53:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux: Kexec Hibernation Performance

,----[ Quote ]
| Following up to the latest round of kexec-based hibernation patches posted to
| the Linux Kernel mailing list it was asked how performance would compare to
| other hibernation solutions.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Kexec_Hibernation_Performance

Power-efficiency test reveals respective strengths of AMD and Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| ...when the systems were idle and waiting for transactions to process, the
| AMD server was 30.4 to 53.1 percent more power efficient.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/sustainableit/archives/2007/08/powerefficiency.html

Related:

AMD bemoans Intel's benchmark presentation

,----[ Quote ]
| "All I want is a level playing field where we are just talking the
| truth. I've never met a chief information officer that wonders
| what the nanometre [scale] in his processor is. They don't care,
| they don't want to care, " said Richard.

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

GNU/Linux is the most power-efficient OS on Intel hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a keynote given at OSCON, Intel's PowerTOP application has
| allowed developers to get a close-up view of what is sucking power in a
| GNU/Linux system. Apparently they've gotten so much feedback and patches that
| they've been able to extend battery life by an hour since the first release,
| making GNU/Linux the best OS for power saving.
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/GNU_Linux_is_the_most_power_efficient_OS_on_Intel_hardware

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3