[News] Linux-like Model Might be Brought to Medical Research and Healthcare

  • Subject: [News] Linux-like Model Might be Brought to Medical Research and Healthcare
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:04:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Can drug discovery use the open source model?

,----[ Quote ]
| What Linux did for the software industry, Samir Brahmachari is hoping his
| model for drug development will do for the pharmaceutical industry. And he
| has India’s apex planning body backing him.
`----

http://www.livemint.com/2007/09/20011219/Can-drug-discovery---use-the-o.html

Opinion: We Are Vendor Neutral Until We are Not?

,----[ Quote ]
| A constructive way to restate it is: 'We are vendor neutral but we are
| license-biased in favor of FOSS licenses such as the GNU GPL.' This ensures
| that true vendor neutrality does not end after an RFP is closed and a vendor
| is selected. The only way to achieve true vendor neutrality is with
| Electronic Medical Record software that is Free and Open Source (FOSS)
| licensed.
`----

http://www.linuxmednews.com/1190263195

Advance HIE: Getting Beyond Economics

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to espousing the virtues of FOSS and WorldVistA EHR it contains
| such gems as: 'The move toward a universal EHR is much more than the
| introduction of a new technology in medical care. Universal implementation of
| proprietary EHR systems has the potential to wrest control of the
| doctor-patient relationship from doctors and their patients. Unfortunately,
| most doctors and their patients don't have a clue that this could happen --
| and already is happening -- right under their noses. And, they will be paying
| for it!
`----

http://www.linuxmednews.com/1190209133

Related:

Open-Source Drug Safety?

,----[ Quote ]
| More than a million Americans take Avandia every year; the risk
| Glaxo had found would mean thousands of extra heart attacks. But
| the company argued that the risk only occurred in patients who
| already had serious heart problems, and that it didn't show up
| in long-term clinical trials. The FDA made no decision, and no
| public statement.
|
| [...]
|
| It's an open source approach to drug safety.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/home/sciencesandmedicine/2007/05/21/fda-glaxo-avandia-biz-sci_cx_mh_0522fda.html

Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model

,----[ Quote ]
| "Open source" as applied to culture defines a culture in which
| intellectual property is made generally available. Participants
| in such a culture are able to improve and modify those products
| and redistribute them back into the community.
`----

http://www.farmavita.net/content/view/336/51/

Thailand fed up with high drug prices - minister

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have thought about this for more than five years. It's long enough,"
| said Mongkol na Songkhla, who is leading one of the biggest challenges to
| Big Pharma's patent rights in years.
`----

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/2/19/worldupdates/2007-02-19T014311Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_-288239-1&sec=worldupdates

Biology Goes Open Source