[News] Strike Three for Lockin-loving Software Vendors Coming Soon (and Japan's Antitrust Too)

  • Subject: [News] Strike Three for Lockin-loving Software Vendors Coming Soon (and Japan's Antitrust Too)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:03:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
MICROSOFT: Strike Two!

,----[ Quote ]
| Strike Three will come sooner than Feb '08 when we deliver an
| interoperability antidote and blow to all IT vendors seeking to constrain
| document interop; our solution is the key for all enterprise customers to end
| lock-in if they want to.
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/09/microsoft-strik.html

America is not the world and open source is grateful

,----[ Quote ]
| Americans have also come to assume Microsoft’s anti-trust position to be
| unassailable. But that is not the case in Europe, which continues to press
| its case. As Larry Dignan notes correctly, this has a real impact on open
| source here.
|
| Some may whine, but by laying down its marker for interoperability, and
| against Microsoft’s embrace and extend policy, the European Union is
| supporting American open source efforts, giving them legal protection no U.S.
| court can fully take away.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1433

Related:

Microsoft foresees more suits in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| A legal battle between Microsoft and Japanese anti-monopoly authorities
| is likely to conclude next year and might lead to lawsuits or other
| patent infringement complaints against the U.S. software company,
| an executive said Thursday.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft has been slapped with hefty fines by European Union regulators,
| who have said Microsoft broke competition laws and abused its dominant
| market position.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_hi_te/japan_microsoft

Government of Japan Embraces Open Software Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), the leading organization
| advocating for openness and accessibility to government documents and
| information, today congratulated Japan for adopting a policy under which
| government ministries and agencies will solicit bids from software vendors
| whose products support internationally recognized open standards.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/126612?topic=117674

Malaysia formally embraces open doc format

,----[ Quote ]
| The Malaysian government today announced plans to adopt open standards and
| the Open Document Format (ODF) within the country's public sector.
|
| [...]
|
| In July this year, Japan became the first country in the Asia-Pacific region
| to embrace open software standards. Last August, the United Nations urged
| countries in the region to adopt the ODF.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62030781,00.htm

Japanese Government to Embrace Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle Japan is said to be leading the effort, which could launch
| as early as next month.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070503/34429_id.html?.v=1

Oracle, IBM, NEC to market Linux in Japan: Nikkei

,----[ Quote ]
| Major information technology firms, including Oracle Corp., IBM Corp. and
| NEC Corp., will set up a consortium to sell servers and systems running
| the Linux operating system in Japan, a financial daily said on
| Thursday.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/02/AR2007050202938.html

Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
| Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
| the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
| across the country in the near future.
`----

http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

Linux hot at top Japanese embedded conference

,----[ Quote ]