[News] [Rival] "When you Install Windows, You No Longer Own Your PC"

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] "When you Install Windows, You No Longer Own Your PC"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:41:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
You Think You Own Your Computer? Think Twice. Microsoft Shows Who’s Boss.

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Universal Windows Live Installer puts more than what you expect on
| pre-Vista systems: it installs Windows Desktop Search without prompting for
| user consent, or even just letting users know.
|
| [...]
|
| The New Universal Windows Live Installer puts more than what you expect on
| pre-Vista systems: it installs Windows Desktop Search without prompting for
| user consent, or even just letting users know...
|
| [...]
|
| Makes sense? BS. Or, as ZDNet puts it more politely: Microsoft dodging the
| real stealth update issues.... Makes sense? BS. Or, as ZDNet puts it more
| politely: Microsoft dodging the real stealth update issues.
|
| [...]
|
| User decides not to upgrade, Microsoft knows what’s better for the user, so
| enforces it’s (sic) will.
|
| [...]
|
| As if someone in Redmond decided they are not getting customer-love anyway,
| with their reputation being so bad, they might as well go for the full Monty:
`----

http://www.zoliblog.com/2007/09/14/you-think-you-own-your-computer-think-twice-microsoft-shows-whos-boss/

Nothing has changed (watch the links below). It's only getting worse.

Related:

Microsoft ties Windows Live services to OS in updates

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is tying its Windows Live services directly to its Windows OS.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/070905mslivesvcs/index.html

A Software Maker Goes Up Against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| When quizzed on Microsoft's plans, Mr. Ballmer replied, "Our view is
| that virtualization is something that should be built into the
| operating system."
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/24/technology/24soft.html?ex=1172898000&en=bbca645a927ef7f8&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
http://tinyurl.com/35jkur

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin