Re: [News] A £200 Linux PC Makes Its Debut in the United Kingdom

____/ 7 on Saturday 15 September 2007 17:44 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Root-locked Linux for the masses
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | At the heart of the Trusted Computing Project is a £200 black box, about
>> | the size of those funny little Mac boxes, running a root-locked Ubuntu
>> | distribution. The user pays an annual fee of £50 for secure support from
>> | a proper Linux geek.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | He says the set-up will suit those concerned about internet security,
>> | but also small businesses and schools who would like to run Linux, yet
>> | don't have the expertise to do it themselves.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/14/linux_box/
>

> Root locked?
> Pointless!!!
> Its supposed to be free!!!
> I wish these dumbos would stop interfering with free software.
>
> The price of a Linux PC is 120 pounds + VAT
>
> www.ebuyer.com
>
> Runs Linux and not root locked.
> 2.5GHz with 80Gb HD and 256Mb RAM.

I see they have improved the specs and the price has gone further down. Fine
machine. I've had no hassles with the one that I have at home and it has
served well for over 2 years.

Within reason, consider Free software. The best things in life are also free.
         run-level 2  2007-09-10 01:53                   last=