Re: [News] Windows Vista's Failures Drive User to Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Windows Vista's Failures Drive User to Linux
  • From: Anonymous <cripto@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:01:58 +0200 (CEST)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
alt wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:40:57 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> > 3 moments in Vista that make me consider Linux
> >
> > ,----[ Gist ]
> > | 1. Explorer crashing over and over and over and over and over
> > again |
> > | 2. Included software being criminally rubbish
> > |
> > | 3. The DRM is getting me down.
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.thepcspy.com/blog/3_moments_in_vista_that_make_me_consider_linux
>
> We're installing kubuntu 7.04 on our brand new laptops at the office
> with a backup installation of XP. The laptops came with Vista, but we
> didn't like it.

I just installed 14 copies of Ubuntu 7.04 on a new "fleet" of laptops
bought by a law firm after Vista proved to be unusable. Down time and
constant futzing around just doesn't cut it at the negotiation table I
guess.

They originally wanted to back down to XP, but being a straight laced
business licensing prevented it (the heart of their business is
property law with an emphasis on intellectual property). Their options
were to send the units back and order new ones with XP, paying a hefty
restocking fee and risking compromise of some of their data, or fix
things themselves.

Fortunately for them they have an outside tech with brains. <grin>

I migrated all 14 machines to Ubuntu over a weekend, preserving what
little data they actually had time to collect on them in the week
and a half it took for them to realize Vista was crap. They couldn't be
more pleased. The whole firm from partners to reception is wondering
why they hadn't switched everything over before. In the next two
weekends I'll be switching their file and mail servers over to LTS
(they were due for an upgrade anyway), and we're making plans to
migrate all 37 company desktop units in two physical locations.

And as an added bonus they boxed up all 14 copies of Vista and sent
them off to Toshiba America for a refund. :)