[News] [Rival] Microsoft Continues to Escape Justice and Abuse Consumers

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Continues to Escape Justice and Abuse Consumers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 04:53:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft to tweak search in Vista SP1 in response to concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather than complying with all of Google's demands and making the entire
| search system replaceable, Microsoft has provided an interface for
| integrating third-party search applications so that they can be established
| as the system default and used through several of the operating system's
| search entry points.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's solution falls short of Google's expectations in several
| respects. As we have reported in the past, one of Google's primary complaints
| is that it isn't easy to completely turn off Vista's indexing service. This
| increases barriers to third-party adoption because it means that adding
| third-party indexers will probably negatively impact system performance.
| System indexers tend to be I/O intensive.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070913-microsoft-to-tweak-search-in-vista-sp1-in-response-to-concerns.html

It gets away with everyhing...

What the Hell Is Microsoft Doing with My Computer?

,----[ Quote ]
| Listen carefully. They're my computers. They're not your computers. I choose
| to put Windows on some of them. I choose what applications go on them. I
| choose when, and how, to upgrade them. Is that clear? Well, none of that is
| clear to Microsoft. We now know— we don't suspect— we know that Microsoft
| automatically updates Windows XP SP 2 systems without your knowledge or
| permission.

Microsoft largely unscathed after US antitrust ordeal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft emerged largely unscathed from a long antitrust ordeal in the
| United States, as it successfully overturned on appeal a judge's ruling that
| would have broken up the world's biggest software firm.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070913/tc_afp/useucompetitionit

Related:

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
| up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
| repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
| against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
| rejection of a complaint by Google.
|
| [...]
|
| In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
| antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
| prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
| Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
| behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
| operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
| search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Software manufacturers, citing 2004 European Commission finding,
| contend the operating system violates server laws in Europe.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

US politicians go to bat for Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/

Report Says Nonprofits Sold Influence to Abramoff

,----[ Quote ]
| E-mails released by the committee show that Abramoff, often
| with the knowledge of the groups' leaders, exploited the tax-exempt
| status and leveraged the stature of the organizations to build
| support among conservatives for legislation or government action
| sought by clients including Microsoft Corp., mutual fund company
| DH2 Inc., Primedia Inc.'s Channel One Network, and Brown-Forman,
| maker of Jack Daniel's whiskey.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/12/AR2006101200889.html
http://tinyurl.com/y2rbpu

Politicians in Microsoft's Pocket

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing on the theme of which politicians are receiving money from
| who. Here is a list of candidates who took money from MSFT.
`----

http://www.fonz.net/blog/archives/2007/06/04/politicians-in-microsofts-pocket/

Politics and tech companies: follow the money

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft took first place with $651,100 given out, while
| Hewlett-Packard gave only $185,550, and Gateway gave a paltry
| $2,000. Microsoft's donations certainly illustrate well the true
| size of the company and the extent of its political concerns.

Feds seek formal extension of Microsoft antitrust deal

,----[ Quote ]

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6111240.html