Re: [News] RPM Fusion Announced and Introduced

  • Subject: Re: [News] RPM Fusion Announced and Introduced
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 01:09:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> The RPM Fusion Project
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | We aim to provide support for all 'current' versions of Fedora
> | including devel, for i386, ppc, ppc64 and x86_64.
> |
> | We hope to attract new Fedora packagers and many other 3rd party
> | repositories.
> `----
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/249179/

Nice sentiment, but it remains to be seen if it takes off.

For those who follow 3rd-party repo politics, you may remember that Dag
Wieërs (of DAG RPMS, the DAR automated buildsystem, and the excellent
mrepo repo management tool) had a similar plan with RPMForge:

http://rpmforge.net/about.php

Initially the plan involved Dag and Rudolf Kastl (of newrpms), but
AFAICT Rudolf seems to have disappeared as quickly as his repo, and
if anything, DAG RPMS now seems to be busier than RPMForge. Similarly
Dries Verachtert's (Dries RPMS) repo is thriving as ever, but his
participation on RPMForge seems to be only tertiary at best
(redistribution).

You may also note that Matthias Saou (of FreshRPMS) is listed as a
contributor to /both/ projects. It looks like he's given up on
RPMForge to concentrate on RPM Fusion. Not a good sign for RPMForge.

Meanwhile Dominik (Rathann) Mierzejewski (of the erstwhile GreySector
RPMS - previously an RPM source for mplayer-codecs-nonfree) is now a
packager at Livna, along with Livna's creator Damien (Dams) Nadé.

The remianing big player, among the Fedora 3rd-party repos, Axel Thimm
(of ATrpms) continues doing his own thing (mainly MythTV stuff).

I just can't see this new project panning out, ultimately I'd surmise
that it'll stagnate just like RPMForge. People like doing their own
thing in their own way.

This "repo consolidation" trend may sound good in theory, but it seldom
amounts to much, similar to Novell's abortive "United Linux" plans. And
we all know how well /that/ turned out.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "OOXML is a superb standard"
| - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.

 01:08:21 up 35 days, 3 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.04, 0.09