[News] Review of Slackware and the Latest Beta of OpenSUSE

  • Subject: [News] Review of Slackware and the Latest Beta of OpenSUSE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:13:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Slackware, the Un-Buntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Once again, Slackware is supposed to be complicated and hard to manage, but
| this experience proved to be different -- and very satisfying. In the Xfce
| printer settings, I selected CUPS to manage my printing. Then I went to CUPS
| configuration in the Slackware menu.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/slackware_update_finished_my_b.html

openSUSE 10.3 Beta 3 Report

,----[ Quote ]
| It was revealed by beineri that "openSUSE 10.3 [will] not shipping KDE 4.0 as
| default KDE desktop" as previously hoped. This is probably due to the updated
| release schedule of KDE 4. I'm sure everyone's heard by now that KDE 4 won't
| be finalized until just before Christmas. They will still probably include
| the latest developmental release at least on mirrors.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/19879

Related:

Slackware: Secure all the way back to 8.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Slackware provides security updates all the way back to version 8.1 along
| with 9.0, 9.1, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 11.0 and 12.0, so if there is a reason
| you're using an older version of Slack, it is still being supported by the
| distro's creator, Patrick Volkerding and his team.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/slackware_secure_all_the_way_b.html

Slackware: There's something totally sane about it

,----[ Quote ]
| Did I mention that configuring CUPS printing for my difficult-to-dial-in
| networked printer was easier in Slackware than in anything else I've tried?
| I'm mentioning it now.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/slackware_theres_something_tot.html

Slackware 12 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm big fan of Slackware Linux, I have used it since the 9.0 version, and
| I am very happy with this distribution...
`----

http://xlayn.blogspot.com/2007/07/slackware-12-review.html

Slackware 12.0 Screenshot Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Here are some of the advanced features of Slackware 12.0: runs the
| 2.6.21.5 version of the Linux kernel; system binaries are linked
| with the GNU C Library, version 2.5; X11 7.2.0...
`----

http://osdir.com/Article9865.phtml

Slackware 12.0 is released!

,----[ Quote ]
| That's right, the first 2.6(.21.5) based Slackware release is ready
| for download! We think you'll enjoy the latest kernel, KDE 3.5.7,
| XFce 4.4.1, HAL automounting for desktop users, an updated toolchain,
| and many other enhancements.
`----

http://www.slackware.com/index.php

Full Slackware 12.0 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I HIGHLY recommend Slackware 12 to anyone that has an open mind and isn’t
| afraid to maybe get their hands a tad dirty. Slackware won’t baby you like
| ubuntu, but you will learn a lot more about Linux with Slackware.
`----

http://deadfool.wordpress.com/2007/07/03/full-slackware-120-review/

openSUSE 10.3 Beta 3 Has Been Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The openSUSE Team is proud to announce the release of openSUSE 10.3 Beta 3.
| Though this release should not be used on any production machines, everyone
| can help shape this release by testing out installations and much more.
`----

http://news.opensuse.org/?p=217

Preview of the 1-CD openSUSE-10.3-Beta2-KDE-i386.

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as  notebooks  are concerned I don't see any reasons why openSUSE
| needs  to continue holding back  from bundling the Intel Pro Wireless
| firmwares into openSUSE 10.3,  which are even present in Fedora 7!!!!  By
| the way, Boot time and shutdown time of openSUSE were fast.  I was thrilled:
| the Suspend  to disk  and Suspend  to  RAM worked flawlessly on my Dell
| Inspiron 600m. The dozing- off-Tux as splash for the Suspend to disk  was
| very cute.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/181/1/

openSUSE 10.3 Beta 1 Live CDs

,----[ Quote ]
| Stephan Kulow has created and uploaded Live CDs of the 1-CD installations for
| your pleasure: GNOME Live ISO, KDE Live ISO.
`----

http://news.opensuse.org/?p=132

Interview with Stephan Kulow, openSUSE Project Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Since 1997 I have been working on the KDE project, mainly hacking libraries
| and doing release coordination. The Linux community was still pretty small
| back then, so while doing KDE releases I had good contacts with quite a few
| Linux distributions. In the summer of 1999 I was looking for a job I could do
| for two months as my girlfriend went on a long-planned US trip. Caldera had
| just introduced a graphical installer programmed using Qt and it was a very
| fascinating time helping to do a second version.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070813#feature

Sneak Peeks at openSUSE 10.3: Greatly Improved Boot Time

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.opensuse.org/?p=104

openSUSE 10.3 Beta 1 Live CDs

,----[ Quote ]
| Stephan Kulow has created and uploaded Live CDs of the 1-CD installations for
| your pleasure: GNOME Live ISO, KDE Live ISO.
`----

http://news.opensuse.org/?p=132

People of openSUSE: Stephan Kulow

,----[ Quote ]