Re: A new challenge? MS develops uncrackable DRM

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 10:43:55 +0100, [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Verily I say unto thee, that AZ Nomad spake thusly:

>> one word:
>>
>> tunebite

>I thought Microsoft's much vaunted Protected Media Path was supposed to
>lock down the framebuffer and audio bus, to make tools like Tunebite
>useless, but I just checked the Tunebite forum, and apparently from
>v4.1.0.31 onwards that's no problem.

>Oh well - no matter how hard Sweaty and his intrepid gang of toner
>monkeys try, they just can't get anything right, can they?

I run it on a laptop.  They use an audio driver for some of their magic, but
otherwise, they're using a/d after the audio driver.  It won't work on vmware
and you can hear the audio content babbling away from the speaker until you mute
it.  Somehow they manage to run up to quad speed and up to four
extractions/resample threads at a time.

If it came to it, any pirate could just string a patchcord from the line-out to
the line-in of the same or a different computer.  What microsoft really needs to
do is disable the audio audio output.  It'll take some extra marketing to
convince users that they're listening to their favorite DRM content  and that
the silence is somehow 'protecting them'.