Re: [News] OpenOffice Gets Lotus 'Implants', Outlook-like Capabilities

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 11 September 2007 14:28 : \____

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201805296&cid=nl_IWK_daily

>> IBM to give OpenOffice the Outlook e-mail killer it needs?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Has the Outlook killer for OpenOffice finally arrived?
>>|
>>| OpenOffice is the most promising open source alternative to Microsoft
>>| Office that runs on most Linux distributions, Windows, Macintosh and BSD
>>| but to date it has lacked an integrated e-mail service such as the Outlook
>>| client that is integrated in Microsoft Office.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1401
>
> There's no doubt that we need a good, open,
> diarying/calendaring/synchronisation capability in the open-source
> world.  There are a great many projects, but they like an overarching
> coherence.  Perhaps the Linux Foundation can provide such a top-level
> view, integrating the various projects in between, in a similar way to
> that which KDE and Gnome have managed for the desktop itself.

They recruit for printing now. As for synchronisation, there's Glide (new) and
with Lotus/Sunbird, there's calendaring as well. KDE has nice facilities as
well and so does Evolution.

Microsoft loves competition.
"We should whack them (Dell over Linux dealings), we should make sure they
understand our value."
        --Paul Flessner, Senior Vice President, Server Applications Unit