[News] GNU/Linux Approaches Dominance in Oracle Deployments

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Approaches Dominance in Oracle Deployments
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 01:33:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Oracle support betrays a preference for Linux and x86

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think we're still about 60% Unix and 40% Linux at this point," said
| Mulheren, who was one of the early beta users of Oracle 11g. "I think
| probably by mid-'08 it will be 50-50 and increase from there. As the older
| systems are replaced, we'll replace them with these newer boxes."
|
| With its move to release Oracle 11g on Linux x86 systems first, it's clear
| that the x86 hardware and Linux operating system are Oracle favorites. As
| further evidence of Oracle's preference for Linux, Oracle now has its own
| distribution of Linux and is trying to compete with Red Hat on Linux support
| while at the same time battling against Microsoft SQL Server on Windows.
`----

http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid80_gci1271230,00.html

Related:

Oracle Adds Features to Linux, Validates Configurations

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle has also done other things to make Oracle Enterprise Linux different,
| such as porting Novell's Yet Another Setup Tool (YAST) system configuration
| tool from SUSE Linux to RHEL; Oracle did this and launched it a few weeks ago
| because YAST is a good tool and some Linux users prefer it. The company has
| also announced that Chris Mason, an Oracle employee, is spearheading a new,
| scalable file system for Linux called Btrfs, which will be distributed under
| the GNU General Public License v2.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb090407-story01.html

A First Look at Oracle 11g database on Debian GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Three and half years have passed since my first attempts to install Oracle
| 10g on an unsupported Debian GNU/Linux distribution. Seeing that Oracle 11g
| is out, and exclusively for Linux at this time, I decided to download it
|             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| among the first and see and share with you what it's installation looks like.
`----

http://www.linuxinsight.com/a-first-look-at-oracle-11g-database-on-debian-gnu-linux.html

Oracle 11g ships first on Linux, not Microsoft Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Forrester, Oracle's share of the DBMS market has declined to the
| point where the platform has become less strategic to Oracle, Yuhanna said.
|
| "Oracle is already betting on Linux to succeed by putting strong R&D and
| marketing efforts around it," Yuhanna said. "Simply put, if Linux grows,
| Oracle grows."
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1268047,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/3ypqxv

Oracle opens up latest Linux enhancements

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle Corp. is busy at LinuxWorld, Wednesday opening up its latest work with
| the Linux community to improve the enterprise capabilities of the open-source
| operating system.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/080807-linuxworld-oracle-opens-up-latest.html

Oracle claims no Linux ulterior motive

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is using LinuxWorld to try and calm concerns its Enterprise Linux and
| Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) will fork Red Hat and fragment the Linux
| market.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/08/08/oracle_uln_red_hat/

Is Unbreakable a long-term Linux play?