Re: [News] Funny Article Advocating Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 29 September 2007 09:31 : \____

>>> He's not locked in.  He could switch tomorrow to another distro, if he
>>> wanted to.
>>
>> That's sorta like saying you're not locked into Windows because you can
>> switch to OSX/Linux/BSD.
>>
>> Bad driving is bad driving even if it's not Micro$oft at the wheel.
>>

> I quite agree.  I don't know if you saw my other posting, but I was
> highlighting that lock-in is about an exit barrier.  That might be the
> cost of replacing packages you've already bought, or the cost of
> replacing hardware, or the cost of redoing work which is stuck in
> proprietary formats, or the cost of paying for tools to unpick those
> proprietary formats, and so on.
>
> The point being that there is always lock-in, it's a question of how
> large the exit barrier is.

Linspire supports OOXML (translators). If that's not a lockin, I don't know
what is. It also enabled Microsoft to pretend that OOXML is supported by other
companies, which fills our world with even /more/ vendor lockin. Let's not
even go into Linspire's proprietary codecs...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Holey (sic) Cow! Longhorn is full of holes...
Cpu(s): 27.0%us,  4.9%sy,  1.0%ni, 61.9%id,  4.7%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st