[News] Paid-for Software Gradually Becomes Irrelevant

  • Subject: [News] Paid-for Software Gradually Becomes Irrelevant
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:54:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Do consumers actually purchase software anymore?

,----[ Quote ]
| Have we reached a point in the computing timeline where it’s no longer
| necessary to buy software?
`----

http://techlogg.com/content/view/444/31/

Even Microsoft has moved (unsuccessfully and hesitantly) towards ads-funded
software. Google reigns that area.

Related:

Microsoft offering Office 2007 for rent on a monthly basis

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve asked Microsoft whether it plans to extend this program and offer Office
| 2007 on a subscription basis in other countries. Stay tuned.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=582

Ads Funding Software Applications Available Via The Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Some analysts see these apps as a threat to Microsoft, which makes many
| top-selling conventional apps. But Microsoft is developing its own moves for
| ad-funded software.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/070907/tech01.html?.v=1

Microsoft to partners: It's time to change

,----[ Quote ]
| Aiming to rally its partners around the reality of hosted software, Microsoft
| Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner told them it was a matter of financial
| life and death.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6195764.html

Microsoft ties Windows Live services to OS in updates

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is tying its Windows Live services directly to its Windows OS.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/070905mslivesvcs/index.html

Microsoft pushes Office 2007 with 'try-before-you-buy'

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/07/12/microsoft_office_2007_try_before_buy/