Re: Microsoft caught red handed astroturfing (again)

____/ Tony Sivori on Saturday 29 September 2007 06:42 : \____

> Microsoft doesn't like the idea of Google buying Double-click. Their
> solution? Just hire a PR firm to start a phony grass roots write in to law
> makers, regulators, media, everyone naive enough to listen.
>
> http://money.guardian.co.uk/news_/story/0,,2174794,00.html
>
> And don't miss this impassioned plea against the evils of the Google
> search monopoly which stifle competition and innovation. And how awful it
> would be for the public if Google were to acquire Double-click. From Brad
> Smith, Microsoft VP. Someone please mail Brad a dictionary, his appears to
> lack the word "shame".
>
> http://judiciary.senate.gov/testimony.cfm?id=2955&wit_id=6689

They are doing the same type of thing to battle the EC's decision at the moment
and they did it to promote OOXML (even in the UK). That type of behaviour
should be made illegal. Assorted links:

----[ Quote ]
| In 2001, the Los Angeles Times accused Microsoft of astroturfing
| when hundreds of similar letters were sent to newspapers voicing
| disagreement with the United States Department of Justice and its
| antitrust suit against Microsoft. The letters, prepared by Americans
| for Technology Leadership, had in some cases been mailed from
| deceased citizens or nonexistent addresses.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Similar tactics are said to have been used against the ISO (spamming ANSI).

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| better things about us.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Not exactly the same, but this also involved a PR agency (proxy) called
Edelman. Although it's a matter of perspective, some of these crooks belong
behind bars.

About Google again:

Google Apps Catches Flak

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is launching an anti-Google propaganda campaign.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/09/11/google-apps-catches-flak/?mod=yahoo_hs

Microsoft Retaliates With 10 Reasons Not To Use Google Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| This, of course, brought Google even closer to rivaling Microsoft's Office
| suite, which has now spurred a reaction from the Redmond software giant.
|
| No, its not new software or updates for the popular productivity suite, but
| rather Microsoft's own reasoning on why businesses should NOT use Google
| Apps.
`----

http://www.profy.com/2007/09/11/microsoft-retaliates-with-10-reasons-not-to-use-google-apps/

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  {Hide sig}    {Show sig}    >{Close Application}<
 08:20:01 up 19 days,  6:26,  5 users,  load average: 0.99, 0.83, 0.86