[News] IBM Claims Success with OpenOffice.org Derivative

  • Subject: [News] IBM Claims Success with OpenOffice.org Derivative
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:31:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
IBM: Symphony downloaded 100,000 times in first week

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM and ODF supporters such as Sun Microsystems and Google have been waging a
| public battle against Microsoft to promote their interest in ODF, on which
| all three companies have based productivity applications.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=11098724&rid=-50

Related:

100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon's official response explained the business rationale behind
| offering support for OpenOffice.org: "OpenOffice.org has becomep
| henomenally successful, Sun alone has shipped more than 70 million
| copies of OpenOffice.org 2.0," he said. "Out there, there
| are maybe 100 million copies of OpenOffice.org. It would be
| senseless to ignore that opportunity."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html

Free IBM Software Is Bid to Challenge Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| The IBM package, called Symphony, can be downloaded free of charge. The home
| edition of Microsoft's Office lists for $120 on Internet retail sites. IBM
| will also give away the Symphony software to customers who buy the latest
| version of its Notes collaboration software, which costs $145 per user.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119007597680930576.html

IBM to lift lid on its OpenOffice plans next week

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1406