[News] [Rival] Windows Vista's Flop is Good for Business, Say Integrators

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista's Flop is Good for Business, Say Integrators
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:24:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Channel gains from Vista's woes

,----[ Quote ]
| The report, at Computerworld, quoted one system integrator reckoning his
| business has soared because people want Windows XP and won't shift to Vista.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/09/26/channel-gains-vista-woes

Vista Resistance: Why XP Is Still So Strong

,----[ Quote ]
| The six-year-old operating system is showing surprising strength more than
| half a year after the full launch of its successor. In April, Dell
| acknowledged continued XP demand and resumed offering XP as an option on new
| systems.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137635/article.html

Related:

Windows Vista at Six Months

,----[ Quote ]
| We don't see Vista having a significant effect on these going forward unless
| Microsoft becomes much more aggressive in its marketing efforts." In April,
| Dell even began allowing customers to choose between Windows XP and Vista on
| some machines.
`----

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2007/07/windows_vista_at_six_months.html

Vista's growing pains leave room for XP

| Hewlett-Packard Co. and Dell Inc. recently started selling XP machines on
| their Web sites. Lenovo Group Ltd. and Toshiba Corp. also offer similarly
| equipped machines.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSN1939886820070719?feedType=RSS&rpc=92

Just how new is Windows Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| So it seems that maybe Vista has some new parts cobbled together with
| some old parts. I'm not saying this is bad or anything, because nothing
| is ever really 100% brand new any more, but the problem is that I keep
| running into quirks of all sorts in Vista that are basically the same
| or slight tangents off of Windows XP.
`----

http://www.dodoskido.com/archives/002908-just-how-new-is-windows-vista.html

Very Interactive Sedentary Type Algorithm - VISTA

,----[ Quote ]
| For starters eXtreme Pressure - XP - increased my stress levels
| whenever I was confronted with a static cursor or with frequent
| freeze frames without knowing what was going on.
|
| [...]
|
| Vista signals me when to stretch, when to take a break, helps me to
| increase my skills at being patient...
|
| In addition, Vista is very respectful as it always asks permission
| before engaging in an activity.
`----

http://muriella.wordpress.com/2007/04/23/vista-very-interactive-sedentary-time-algorithm/

Vista scoots to new boot, but it's still kinda rooted

,----[ Quote ]
| While Microsoft would like the world to believe that anyone running Windows
| has no need of any other operating system, that attitude doesn't cut much
| mustard with many of its users.
|
| Why settle for one OS when your PC is easily capable of running two or
| more?
|
| [...]
|
| One of the more questionable tactics that Microsoft has implemented in
| Vista is to automatically overwrite any existing MBR during the
| installation process without asking if you mind or giving you an option
| to back up.
|
| Microsoft says that the Windows installation system can't intelligently
| interrogate an existing non-MS MBR, although such features are quite
| common in the install routine for other OSes.
|
| It also argues that an "official" Vista MBR is required for security
| features -- such as measured boot, which works with Trusted Platform
| Module (TPM)-enabled chips to check that the OS hasn't been hacked or
| altered each time it boots -- to work correctly.
`----

http://www.apcstart.com/site/akidman/2006/09/1656/vista-scoots-to-new-boot-but-its-still-kinda-rooted

Windows XP: The OS That Won't Die?

,----[ Quote ]
| The six-year-old operating system's continued popularity has nearly exhausted
| the supply of product activation keys.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135848-pg,1/article.html

5 Mistakes Microsoft made with Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Let me outline those 5 mistakes Microsoft made with the Windows Vista launch
| and talk about how Microsoft might be able to keep Windows Vista from being a
| sequel to Windows ME.
`----

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979

Customer wants to sue the inventor of Windows XP.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://greenshinobi.wordpress.com/2007/08/15/customer-wants-to-sue-the-inventor-of-windows-xp/

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems as if the Dutch are tired of Microsoft's finest breaking all the
| time, and they've set up a hotline for consumers complaining about Windows
| Vista.
|
| [..]
|
| Apparently the Consumentenbond (Office of Fair Trading) is vastly unimpressed
| by the fact that it's difficult to buy a new computer without Windows Vista,
| and that the very same operating system causes such a high number of
| problems, which the average user is not equipped to deal with.
|
| If the Consumentenbond finds that too many people are having problems with
| Windows Vista, it may elect to start legal proceedings against Microsoft.
`----

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/general/hasta_la_vista,_baby

Judge Says 'Windows Vista Capable' Lawsuit Can Proceed

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge has ruled that two consumers can proceed with a lawsuit that
| claims Microsoft's "Windows Vista Capable" campaign was misleading.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201305528&subSection=All+Stories

Microsoft Vista Satisfaction (Or Not), Part Deux

,----[ Quote ]
| A pool has started now in the office: How long before Doug chucks
| Vista and asks for a downgrade (upgrade?) to Windows XP. You’re all invited
| to play. The only prize is bragging rights.
`----

http://www.pcdoctor-community.com/pcdblog/2007/08/22/microsoft-vista-satisfaction-or-not-part-deux/

Linux gains despite and because of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the heightened competition over the last two quarters from
| Microsoft-Novell and a move by Oracle to undercut Red Hat on the cost of Red
| Hat Linux support service, Red Hat has reported double-digit growth in
| revenue and an increase in profit.
|
| “The success of Red Hat has been able to validate the future potential for
| open source software,” Szulik says.
|
| Emerging countries are also lucrative markets for Linux, says IDC’s Gillen,
| because there isn’t as much of the legacy Windows technology to have to
| displace.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/072507-linux-microsoft-gains.html?page=3

XP > Vista... is Microsoft in Trouble?

,----[ Quote ]
| Which OS do I use more? at this point, probably still XP. But that’s
| because I haven’t rebooted my desktop in 3 months (gotta love Hibernate)
| and I have 20 windows open in XP. Do I hate using Vista? Not at all. At
| this stage in the computing life, most of my time is spent in Firefox
| and PuTTY, and they both run fine on either OS– in fact, they both run
|  fine in Linux. Do I have a preference which one I use these apps in?
| Nope.
|
| [...]
|
| But Vista becoming Microsoft’s downfall? Only if Microsoft wills it.
`----

http://philipwen.wordpress.com/2007/08/13/xp-vista/

Dell warns of Vista upgrade challenges

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell has taken the unusual step--for a PC vendor of its size--of
| toning down its sales pitch for Microsoft's Vista operating system
| and warning businesses of the migration challenges that lie ahead
| for them.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62027712,00.htm

Dell casts doubts on Vista