[News] The Big Money Free Software is Worth

  • Subject: [News] The Big Money Free Software is Worth
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:26:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SAMBA's value to Microsoft: $3.6 Billion...

,----[ Quote ]
| The look on Brad Smith's face said it all: Our legal strategies against Free
| Software need a fundamental re-think because a major battle front just caved
| in.
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/09/sambas-value-to.html

Gustavo Mendes: Neoscopio Ahead of Expectations

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, just a scant 3 months into their official business venture, they are
| well ahead of where they thought they would be right now.
`----

http://blue-gnu.biz/content/gustavo_mendes_neoscopio_ahead_expectations

Free and Open Source Software Developers Working for Free (Economics 101)

,----[ Quote ]
| Individual projects behave as markets from one perspective, and code is
| currency, the medium of exchange. Just like all economic exchanges, the
| contributor offers something they value less (a fragment of code solving a
| particular need) for something they value more (the functioning software
| package in its entirety). Nobody is working for free in an economic sense.
|
| For those that want to dig deep on who develops free and open source software
| and why, I would encourage spending some time with the work led by Rishab
| Aiyer Ghosh published through the International Institute of Infonomics.
`----

http://stephesblog.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/09/free-and-open-1.html

Related:

http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L475