[News] Even 'Hobbyist' Distros Challenge Giant Apple

  • Subject: [News] Even 'Hobbyist' Distros Challenge Giant Apple
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:41:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ulteo - Will it ‘change the way we all use computers’?

,----[ Quote ]
| I returned to find out things had changed a bit since my previous Mac OS 10.2
| experience. What was then an endearing OS still finding it’s feet has now
| become the black turtle-necked monster it is today, OS 10.4. It drags you
| into its iCave full of slick looking hardware, constantly teases you with
| slicker looking hardware and refuses to let you back out. I’m starting to
| miss the freedom of Linux already! And if there’s one distro that might just
| save me from the iCave, it’s Ulteo.
`----

http://www.thegreenisred.co.uk/2007/09/21/ulteo-will-it-change-the-%20%0Away-we-all-use-computers/

Security and bug fix infrastructures in distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| In the world of open source operating systems, what exactly is it that
| differentiates the "big boys" from the "also runs"? Why is one distribution
| considered "major" or "mainstream", while another keeps being looked at as
| just somebody's "hobby project", irrespective of how many satisfied users it
| has? While there are many different criteria one could pick to demonstrate
| the differences between the two groups, there are two features that I believe
| are important factors that shape the user's perception about any
| distribution: its security and bug tracking infrastructure.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070924#news

Related and recent:

One Day I Will Switch from Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPhone is amazing, iTV shows great promise, and just about every piece of
| software they make is wonderful. And in spite of all that, one day I see
| myself switching to Linux.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/in-the-future-i/

Apple: You’re too dumb to make your own technology decisions

,----[ Quote ]
| I felt exactly the same way when I read Cory Doctorow’s blog post on how
| Apple’s new iPods have been re-engineered to block synching with Linux. Apple
| knows better than you. God forbid you should have choice and be able to make
| some technology decisions for yourself. Of course, Apple is engaged in all
| sorts of unspeakable acts of walled-garden erection: “OS X may runneth on the
| Intel platform but thou shalt not runneth OS X on anything but our Intel
| platform.” I’d be running OS X in a heartbeat if only I could run it on a
| notebook with a pointing stick (I hate touch pads).
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=780

After Big Win in Microsoft Case, EU Sets Sights on iTunes

,----[ Quote ]
| An EU spokesman also blamed the record labels, two of which are owned by
| European companies, for this situation. He told the WSJ in April that
| regulators considered Apple to be more a victim than a culprit. “This is an
| arrangement imposed on Apple by the record companies,” the spokesman
| said. “The main focus of our attention is the major record companies.”
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/09/17/after-big-win-in-microsoft-case-eu-sets-sights-on-itunes/?mod=yahoo_hs
http://tinyurl.com/2jj57a

iPod Classic Will Be Supported