[News] Customers Stung by 64-bit Microsoft Windows

  • Subject: [News] Customers Stung by 64-bit Microsoft Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:43:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"Valued customers" bug Neat Receipts over Vista support

,----[ Quote ]
| There, people wonder why it's just so difficult for firms to develop 64-bit
| drivers. Microsoft might be a better company to ask - but we suspect it's a
| huge sea change and we are just the flots and the jets being carried along on
| the top of an irresistible wave.

Even some Microsoft products do not support 64-bit PCs. Of course, open source
drivers don't have this issue.

Related:

Next Release of OneCare Won't Support Vista x64

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft announced that it was ready to roll out Windows Live
| OneCare version 1.5 to coincide with the general release of Windows
| Vista, it omitted one important fact: the product will not support
| Vista x64 or XP x64.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/next_release_of_onecare_still_wontsupport_vista_x64.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/26ndme

Microsoft Vista 64 bit is no go in 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Without an exception, they all think it's too early and the drivers
| won't be that polished for 64 bit either. AMD and Intel have CPUs which
| can support 64 operating systems but the drivers are still lame,
| unpolished and slow compared with 32 bit.

Vista 64 VS Vista 32

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista 64 has a slight advantage over the 32 Bit version speed
| wise, unfortunately due to the stringent drivers requirements
| for the 64 Bit versions, at this point
| my recommendations are to stick with the 32 Bit version of
| Vista until most of  hardware manufacturers and software
| manufactures (including Microsoft) decide to actually take
| advantage of the 64 Bit architecture!
| Even better: get serious and do some progress in this
| industry, I am sick and tired to just see marketing
| numbers and not actually progress here.
`----

http://vistaincompatible.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1171842357

Windows XP 64 is crap and things break and printers dont work and
quickbooks doesnt work the list goes on

,----[ Quote ]
| Morale (sic) of the story is - if you are using Microsoft products, stay
| away from the cutting edge - it sucks pretty bad.
`----

http://www.pintmaster.com/20061212/windows-xp-64-is-crap-and-things-break-and-printers-dont-work-and-quickbooks-doesnt-work-the-list-goes-on/
http://tinyurl.com/yguyum

Support for Microsoft Windows XP x64 Not Worth Anything

,----[ Quote ]
| Almost no one is supporting Microsoft Windows XP x64, the 64-bit
| version of Windows XP.
|
| There are no Antivirus programs that work with x64 and most
| applications won't work with x64 (unless they run the crippled
| 32-bit equivalent).
|
| Programs won't install printer drivers because, apparently, no one
| can figure out how to write a 64-bit printer driver.
|
| If Windows XP x64 has this much trouble with basic elements such
| as printer drivers, how can anyone expect the much maligned Windows
| Vista to be of any value?
|
| Frankly, my high opinion of Microsoft is quickly fading away, and
| my shop used to be a staunch Microsoft shop.
|
| Open Source alternatives are looking better and better every
| day.
`----

http://roacm.blogspot.com/

Vista users get the 64-bit blues