[News] Patent Numbers Fall in Europe, “Something Physical" Needed for Patents

EPO spies success as patent numbers fall

,----[ Quote ]
| While computing remains one of the most active fields, the proportion of
| computer patent filings fell by 0.8 per cent last year. Meanwhile, the
| related field of information storage, which has seen a flood of applications
| in recent years, saw its share of total filings drop by a staggering 18 per
| cent last year.
`----

http://bulletin.sciencebusiness.net/ebulletins/showissue.php3?page=/548/2819/10311

Ex Parte Bilski: On the Briefs

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell & Microsoft: A patentable invention must operate on “something
| physical.” To be patentable, software should be tied to a computer and cause
| some physical transformation (such as movement of electrons). And, following
| Comiskey, a patent should not be granted under 103 if the inventor merely
| combined well known computer hardware with inventive but otherwise
| unpatentable software.
`----

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2008/04/ex-parte-bilski.html

EDS' Next Big Thing Blog: Read and Respond to What the EDS Fellows Say About
Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are reading this blog, you are probably interested in innovation and
| information technology. If so, you've probably crossed paths with software
| and business method patents. If still true, then you've probably discovered
| that the US patent office's backlog for our class of patents is 4-5 years.
| Well, with the fast pace of technology, it can be argued that most IT and
| business inventions have a useful life of about 4-5 years. So, does it even
| make any sense to file a patent?
`----

http://www.eds.com/sites/cs/blogs/eds_next_big_thing_blog/archive/2008/04/08/patents-to-accelerate-or-not-to-accelerate_3F00_.aspx

Related: