[News] Misconceptions a Barrier and Participation Key to Quicker Linux Adoption

IT managers urged to dip their toes into community-based support

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Linux Foundation's second annual Collaboration Summit here, Reaves
| asked a panel of Linux kernel experts what he needed to do to get help from
| the kernel community to integrate code changes that would support Nortel's
| switches.
|
| [...]
|
| "His problem is fairly well-represented in the industry," said panelist James
| Bottomley, a board member of the Linux Foundation and chairman of the group's
| technical advisory board. "It stems from the change in paradigms that Linux
| forces on people."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=development&articleId=9076301&taxonomyId=11&intsrc=kc_top
http://tinyurl.com/5amos7

There must be many dozens of companies working on Linux simultaneously. That
can't work under a 'cathedral' model.

Yesterday:

Red Hat wrestles with Linux apathy

,----[ Quote ]
| What would you say to partners still sceptical about Linux?
|
| They are sceptical because the market maturity is still lacking behind the US
| or Europe, and skill levels are not as sophisticated. As with anything
| technology driven, it's always received with scepticism. Smaller companies
| find it harder to trust something they do not know, when a Microsoft package
| feels much easier. The education and Linux knowledge is still lacking so we
| will work with universities to get people trained in Linux and open source.
| In our meetings with partners here, there is a concern about the lack of
| skills.
`----

http://www.itp.net/news/515638-red-hat-wrestles-with-linux-apathy

For Linux admins, career options remain plentiful

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks for the advice, Brent. The future looks bright for Linux. Anything
| else you want to tell our readers?
|
| Don't worry about getting an MCSE, Linux is where it's at right now.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1280915,00.html

My Visit to Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| Phipps went on to say that one of the main reasons prospects and customers
| are uncomfortable with this open source approach is that it fails to align
| with their expectations of how software is obtained. They're so accustomed to
| the bid/procurement process accompanied by the stereotypical sales rep
| proffering half-truths about the product that they literally feel anxious
| when offered the gift of free software. Furthermore, they're so used to an
| adversarial relationship with sales reps that they are bewildered about how
| to respond to a sales approach that is more collaborative and focused on user
| satisfaction, which is, of course, a prerequisite when what you sell is
| support.
`----

http://advice.cio.com/bernard_golden/my_visit_to_sun

In need of software reform