Re: [News] [SOT] Music Industry Goes Insane Illegaling Promos. Seeking Internet Tax

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:11:21 +0100
<8246061.1reVNQP0iN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> UMG Says Throwing Away Promo CDs is Illegal
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In a brief filed in federal court yesterday, Universal Music Group (UMG)
> | states that, when it comes to the millions of promotional CDs ("promo CDs")
> | that it has sent out to music reviewers, radio stations, DJs, and other music
> | industry insiders, throwing them away is "an unauthorized distribution" that
> | violates copyright law. Yes, you read that right -- if you've ever received a
> | promo CD from UMG, and you don't still have it, UMG thinks you're a pirate.
> `----
>
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/04/umg-says-throwing-away-promo-cds-illegal

Errrraaaaahhhuuuuummmm....so...how are we supposed to
dispose of those things?

> File Sharing Confusion in Courts May Lead to Internet Tax
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This is essentially the same scheme currently used around the world as
> | compensation for radio play. Canada has a similar system in place for
> | recordable media such as blank CDs and DVDs.
> `----
>
> http://ostatic.com/158869-blog/file-sharing-confusion-in-courts-may-lead-to-internet-tax

Yes, let's have an Internet Tax!  Microsoft will of course collect it.

</sarcasm>

> Related:
>
> Microsoft may pay Zune tax twice
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft's private deal with Universal Music to pay the record
> | label a voluntary royalty of $1 for every Zune player it sells
> | has raised eyebrows across both the technology and music
> | industries. But it might not be the last payment Redmond owes
> | from Zune, we've discovered.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/14/microsoft_zune_royalties/
>

> Universal to seek money for each iPod sold
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "It would be a nice idea. We have a negotiation coming up not too
> | far. I don't see why we wouldn't do that... but maybe not in the
> | same way," Morris said. His "same way" comment is a reference tot
> | he Zune, which Universal already gets $1 from after signing a deal
> | with Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061128-8309.html
>

> A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
> | the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
> | (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
> | store unpurchased songs.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
> | money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.

Stands to reason; they own the unpurchased songs.  Yes,
I know, but fixing the music distributor system is well
outside of COLA, and in any event the artists can petition
Universal later.

(Assuming Universal doesn't browbeat them to death, and
can actually get an accurate figure for the number of
unpurchased song revenue.  Good luck on that, Universal;
you'll need it.)

> | [...]
> |
> | Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
> | thieves without evidence.

So *we're* stealing from Microsoft?  Oh, the horror.

> `----
>
> http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/

[rest snipped for brevity]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/signature/pedantry: Resource temporarily unavailable