[News] INRIA Can't Just Patent Algorithms

INRIA: EU firms 'too shy' about basic research

,----[ Quote ]
| There is also the question of software patents. We should be very careful
| with what we are patenting. If you have a very good algorithm for computing
| some mathematical function, I don't think it can be patented – it should be
| published. What could be patented is a system designed for computing the
| function, not the algorithm.
`----

http://www.euractiv.com/en/science/inria-eu-firms-shy-basic-research/article-171061

Related:

The Narrowing Of Patentable Subject Matter By The Federal Circuit: In re
Nuijten And In re Comiskey

,----[ Quote ]
| Until very recently, the scope of patentable subject matter under the Patent
| Act encompassed four categories – process, machine, manufacture, or
| composition of matter. These were broadly construed to encompass just about
| anything manmade. However, with the In re Nuijten and In re Comiskey
| opinions, explained and compared in this article, the Federal Circuit
| substantially narrowed what was previously thought to be within the purview
| of 35 U.S. C. § 101. The Federal Circuit held that a business method, if not
| combined with a machine, is not patentable, and that a signal, on its own, is
| similarly not patentable. These decisions create three new conditions for
| patentability not previously recognized by case law: a "technological arts"
| requirement, a "non-transience requirement, and a "tangibility" requirement.
`----

http://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=55596

Patent creators say Microsoft lied to get better deal on DVR patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is facing a patent lawsuit over its failed Ultimate TV DVR
| system. The lawsuit, filed by joint venture company Intellivision
| (no relation to the Mattel console), accuses the company of making
| fraudulent and misleading claims in order to acquire intellectual
| property without having to make royalty payments.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070604-patent-creators-say-microsoft-lied-to-get-better-deal-on-dvr-patents.html
http://tinyurl.com/2bpmv7

New business model: Reverse Patent Trolling

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/605