[News] Open Source Alternatives to Proprietary Offers Get Better

Look out VirtualPC and VMWare... VirtualBox is in the house

,----[ Quote ]
| VMWare: You need to provide your desktop virtualization product for free, and
| I'm not talking about some BS "Player" for free, I mean a full-fledged
| VirtualBox or VirtualPC contending piece of software. With options like
| VirtualBox and VirtualPC available for free, you are starting to lose some
| serious clients, including myself.
`----

http://www.nerdyhearn.com/blog.php?id=45

Dimdim: A good, free, open source Webex competitor (invites!)

,----[ Quote ]
| One big benefit of this product is that viewers of a presentation do not have
| to download or install any applications, plug-ins, ActiveX controls, or Java
| giblets. That is sure to please viewers like me who don't like junking up
| their system just so they can get pitched.
`----

http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9912537-2.html

Yesterday:

You couldn’t do this with proprietary software

,----[ Quote ]
| The response was pretty emphatic: you just couldn’t do what Ringside is doing
| with proprietary software, according to Bob and Rich. As an explanation they
| discussed their hopes for getting Facebook application developers not just
| using Ringside for application development, but contributing to the
| development of the Social Application Server itself.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/04/07/you-couldnt-do-this-with-proprietary-software/

Related:

It's unofficial: Microsoft bets business on Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;754084996;fp;2;fpid;1