[News] More Continued Growth for Free Software Databases

Report: Open-source databases on the rise

,----[ Quote ]
| This is also why Sun is increasingly playing the leadership role in open
| source. I've opined before that MySQL could become the hub of the open-source
| ecosystem, just as Oracle has built itself into the hub of a significant
| proprietary ecosystem.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9913963-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yesterday:

IBM's EnterpriseDB stake: not what you think

,----[ Quote ]
| Ergo, this deal is IBM dipping its feet gingerly into a back door challenge
| to Oracle, not MySQL. Ever since IBM held back on its own SQL database
| invention, allowing Oracle to grab leadership of the market, it has always
| responded by making DB2 cheaper. But it still plays second banana. Investing
| a modest chunk in EnterpriseDB is a way of having somebody else test drive a
| new strategy for carving a wedge inside the Oracle market, something that IBM
| has hungered for going back at least 20 years.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/07/ibm_enterprisedb_stake/

Related:

IBM Takes Stake in Open Source Database Vendor

,----[ Quote ]
| For more than a decade, PostgreSQL has been a cornerstone of the open source
| database market. In recent years, EnterpriseDB has emerged as a leading
| vendor supporting and driving PostgreSQL forward.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3736336

IBM buys database software firm Solid Information

,----[ Quote ]
| "IBM's acquisition of Solid Information Technology supports the company's
| growth strategy and capital allocation model, and it is expected to
| contribute to the achievement of the company's objective for
| earnings-per-share growth through 2010," IBM said in a statement.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSHEL00607220071221

MySQL in the firing line again as IBM snaps up SolidDB

,----[ Quote ]
| The aqcuisition also has implications for MySQL given Solid’s development of
| the SolidDB for MySQL engine, an optional replacement for InnoDB (also of
| course acquired by Oracle).
|
| [...]
|
| Solid had planned to boost its support for MySQL in the new year following
| the release of MySQL 5.1. It will be interesting to see if IBM sticks to
| those plans, but given IBM’s support for multiple databases used against its
| hardware and software stack, it would not be at all surprising if it does.
| Let’s not forget that DB2 can also be used as a storage engine for MySQL on
| System i following the agreement struck between the two companies in April.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/12/21/mysql-in-the-firing-line-again-as-ibm-snaps-up-soliddb/

IBM, MySQL team up on database software

,----[ Quote ]
| Executives at IBM, the world's No. 2 software maker, and MySQL told
| Reuters they will announce a technology and marketing partnership
| on Wednesday at a MySQL users' conference in Santa Clara, California.
`----

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/04/25/ibm_mysql_team_up_on_database_software/?rss_id=Boston.com+%2F+News
http://tinyurl.com/2mwwkx

Google offers its own changes to MySQL