[News] The Linux Security Advantage; Symantec: On-line Threats Grow 5-fold in a Year

  • Subject: [News] The Linux Security Advantage; Symantec: On-line Threats Grow 5-fold in a Year
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:45:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Compromised legit sites power hack attacks

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2007, Symantec detected 711,912 new threats compared to 125,243 in 2006 –
| a greater than five-fold increase.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/04/08/symantec_threat_report/

Cyber risk 'equals 9/11 impact'

,----[ Quote ]
| The US homeland security chief has made a heartfelt plea to Silicon Valley
| workers to stand up and be counted in the fight to secure the cyber highway.

OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Vista vs. XP

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;849217596;fp;4;fpid;782452

>From the same one:

OS Smackdown: Linux vs. Mac OS X vs. Windows Vista vs. Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| P.S. As of reading the article the poll stood at:
|
|     * Linux 34%
|     * Mac OS X Leopard 35%
|     * Windows Vista 10%
|     * Windows XP 18%
|     * Other: 3%
`----

http://blog.linuxoss.com/2008/04/09/os-smackdown-linux-vs-mac-os-x-vs-windows-vista-vs-windows-xp/

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

Related:

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows