[News] Study on Cost Reduction with Free Software: OOo Lowers Expenses by up to 91%

  • Subject: [News] Study on Cost Reduction with Free Software: OOo Lowers Expenses by up to 91%
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 07:32:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenOffice.org Study by the Copenhagen Business School

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/openoffice_org_study_by_the

,----[ Quote ]
| Evaluation of Ten Standard Setting Organizations with Regard to Open
| Standards. Edited by Per Andersen. Prepared by IDC for the Danish National IT
| and Telecom Agency (NITA). An April 03, 2008 press release from the the
| Danish National IT and Telecom Agency (IT- og Telestyrelsen) announced the
| publication of a 92-page report titled "Evaluation of Ten Standard Setting
| Organizations with Regard to Open Standards."
|
| [...]
|
| The definition of "open standards" was specified to consist of three
| criteria: (1) The standard is fully documented and accessible by public [Open
| documentation]; (2) The standard should be free to implement without
| economical, political or legal restictions -- now as well as in the future
| [Open IPR, Open access, Open interoperability]; (3) The standard is managed
| and maintained in an open forum through an open process [Open meeting;
| Consensus; Due process; Open change; Ongoing standards support]...
`----

http://xml.coverpages.org/openStandards.html#AndersenIDC-OpenSSO

Yesterday:

BE, NL: governments will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Asked to comment on last week's ISO approval for OOXML, Fedict's chief IT
| architect, Peter Strickx, said: "There will have to be multiple
| implementations, in order for us not to become dependent on a single vendor.
| It will also have to be compatible with open standards that we already use,
| in this case Open Document Format ODF."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7562

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims  continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year.
|
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561

Related:

European spend on open source software hits 22bn Euros

,----[ Quote ]
| Rishab Ghosh, a senior researcher at the UN University in Maastricht,
| will tell the Open Ireland conference in Dublin that the spend in the
| US on free/libre or open source software (FLOSS) stands at 36bn
| Euros and accounts for 20pc of software spend in the US.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7850

Source of the revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Ghosh, the notional value of Europe's investment in
| free/libre or open source software (FLOSS) today is e22bn,
| representing 20.5pc of the region's total software investment.
| Spending on OSS stands at e36bn and accounts for 20pc of software
| expenditure in the US.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single8105

Software wars

,----[ Quote ]
| Allegations of committee-stuffing, the outcome of votes overridden by
| political appointees, a final decision that many involved consider tainted:
| this may sound like a discredited election in some third world country. But
| it is actually a description of an ugly fight over international technical
| standards that wrapped up this week. Microsoft came out on top, but at the
| cost of tarnishing its reputation and the credibility of an important
| back-room process that oils the wheels of many global industries.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c9743360-01a8-11dd-a323-000077b07658,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2Fc9743360-01a8-11dd-a323-000077b07658.html%3Fnclick_check%3D1&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerworlduk.com%2Ftool

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107/martin-bryan:we-are-getting-standardization-by-corporation

Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
Power Rankings

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=834308