[News] Chinese Low-cost Chip Favours Linux

Jisus - It's the Loongson Chip

,----[ Quote ]
| Although there are claims that Windows CE has been ported to it, it's mainly
| used to run GNU/Linux. All of which makes it perfect for ultraportables. It
| will be interesting to see whether it turns up elsewhere.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/jisus-its-loongson-chip.html

Related:

Red Hat sees FY07 greater China sales up 100 pct

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Inc., a distributor of open-source Linux software, expects its
| sales in the greater China region to double in fiscal 2007 and grow by
| 85 percent in fiscal 2008, an executive said on Tuesday. "Our plan is to
| have 100 percent growth this year, and 85 percent growth next year,"
| Michael Chen, general manager of Red Hat China, told Reuters in an
| interview.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060926:MTFH04213_2006-09-26_06-26-12_SHA306441&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/rdrsg

China's Digit Digit Adds Linux-based Flames

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest version of the VFX system - Flame 2007 - takes advantage of
| 64-bit multi-core computing, storage and networking technologies to
| provide large productivity gains for users performing compositing,
| tracking, color correction and visual effects.
`----

http://www.postmagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=757A20D85AED457E9DA74AFD3E19D8B0
http://tinyurl.com/yggx4b

Wake Up Morning Post

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source companies in China can't look to the likes of IBM, SUN
| and Novell to bring them out of their closets through acquisition,
| partnerships or staunching Microsoft's growth. Chinese companies are
| going to have to learn to compete as their Western peers have.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,61966769,00.htm

IBM to Shift China Focus Toward Tech, Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| "Our business is changing, so our investment in China will also
| change," said Michael Cannon-Brookes, IBM's vice-president of
| business development for China and India.
|
| He said the technology firm's investments will go to areas such as
| IT service, business transformation, Linux operating systems, and
| people. IBM has already invested billions of U.S. dollars in China.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/54277.html

Red Flag Linux may be next on IBM's agenda

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/092206-red-flag-linux-may-be.html