[News] Yahoo Raises Antitrust Issues Against Microsoft, Microsoft Ignores

Yang hits back at Ballmer; mentions antitrust concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| The part of the new Yahoo letter I found most interesting, though, was the
| mention of antitrust issues that would arise if the acquisition goes through
| — something that neither Microsoft nor Yahoo has spent much time discussing
| publicly. From the letter:
|
|     “As to antitrust, we have discussed with you our concerns. Any
|     transaction between us would result in a thorough regulatory review in
|     multiple jurisdictions. As a follow up to a recent meeting among our
|     respective legal advisors we had on this topic, and at your request, we
|     provided to you on March 28 a list of additional information we would
|     need to further our understanding of the regulatory issues associated
|     with any transaction. To date, you have still not provided any of the
|     requested information.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1317

Related:

"Gates met Noorda briefly in San Francisco to discuss the merger […] before the
merger could go forward, he said Novell had to drop its plans to buy Digital
Research. […] when Noorda raised the possibility that the Justice Department
might try to block a merger between the first and third biggest software
companies on the planet, Gates responded, “Don’t worry, we know how to handle
the federal government.” […] Gates denied every saying such a thing”

http://bil-gates.blogspot.com/

Yesterday:

Yahoo rejects Microsoft offer once again

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet media giant Yahoo has again rejected the bid made by Microsoft for a
| possible acquisition deal.
|
| Microsoft has stated that they are giving Yahoo three weeks before they are
| going to go ahead with a hostile acquisition attempt.
|
| Yahoo said in a statement: “We continue to believe that your proposal is not
| in the best interests of Yahoo and our stockholders.”
`----

http://news.techwhack.com/7409-yahoo-microsoft-bid

Microsoft-Yahoo war may spur Alibaba buyback

,----[ Quote ]
| Chinese Internet firm Alibaba is set to speed up plans to buy back a near 40
| percent stake owned by Yahoo Inc, as Microsoft Corp threatens to go hostile
| with a lower bid for Yahoo.
`----

http://in.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idINIndia-32897020080407

Days beforehand:

Microhoo: Ballmer takes off his gloves

,----[ Quote ]
| What Ballmer means: Jerry, you are making us both look bad. It's time to get
| in gear, and if I have to bring on the irate dancing monkey and go straight
| to the shareholders, I will.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13953_3-9912291-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft Threatens Yahoo Board With Proxy Battle, Lower Bid

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Steven A. Ballmer threatened Yahoo Inc.
| directors with a hostile takeover of the company if they don't reverse course
| and agree to a deal within the next three weeks.
`----
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120741922713292671.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Microsoft gives Yahoo three weeks to do a deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft on Saturday issued an ultimatum to Yahoo, giving the Internet
| search pioneer three weeks to enter formal merger negotiations and conclude a
| deal.
|
| The software giant threatened to launch a proxy fight to unseat Yahoo's board
| of directors, as well as take its case straight to Yahoo investors should no
| deal be reached in that period.
|
| And as a further cattle prod in getting a deal consummated, Microsoft
| threatened to lower its existing bid, citing how Yahoo's value will be hurt
| if it needs to resort to such hostile means.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9912349-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Bear Stearns's Advice To Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Co-founder Bill Gates can't be thrilled with watching
| Ballmer drain the company's cash. He didn't get so rich by buying at the top
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| of the market.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/03/17/microsoft-bear-stearns-tech-ebiz-cx_ec_0316msft.html

Recent:

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Microsoft's DreamSpark – What a Giveaway

,----[ Quote ]
| The rest of the $44.6bn (£22.3bn) deal would be financed with an undisclosed
| amount of credit.
|
| What that means is that it must squeeze as much money as it can from its
| operations to fund that debt and still pay dividends to shareholders, who
| will be looking for some payback from the Yahoo takeover. Giving away
| software is the last thing it would want to do in these circumstances, and
| the DreamSpark announcement shows just how worried it is about the future.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/microsofts-dreamspark-%E2%80%93-what-giveaway

Yahoo says Microsoft's bid is distracting workforce

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo stated the obvious in its annual report on Wednesday by saying
| Microsoft's bid to buy the company is distracting executives and employees.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9881216-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yahoo Battling 7 Shareholder Suits

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo Inc. is facing seven shareholder lawsuits alleging the slumping
| Internet pioneer bungled its response to Microsoft Corp.'s unsolicited
| takeover bid.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gM9JqF0rLcz49fPhWY44jXEPXTmgD8V2VAU03

Yahoo sued by Chinese dissidents again

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo faces another lawsuit over its actions in China. Several Chinese men
| are suing the company and its Hong Kong subsidiary claiming they were harmed
| because of Yahoo's cooperation with the Chinese government.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9881042-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yahoo Sued for Spurning Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Two Detroit pension funds have sued Yahoo Inc. and its board of directors,
| saying they breached their duties to shareholders in trying to thwart a
| takeover by Microsoft Corp.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jdD7c1YzAOB-suxU2tJ63WjFjxngD8UVK7J80

Microsoft's IBM Moment

,----[ Quote ]
| News Commentary: Microsoft can only lose if it enters into a proxy fight
| against Yahoo.
|
| Supposedly, Microsoft is ready to make a hardball maneuver to replace Yahoo's
| board of directors. A proxy fight would be a highly aggressive move from a
| company that for years sought to remake its tarnished public image. Antitrust
| cases on two continents portrayed Microsoft as a bully, which is a label a
| Yahoo hostile takeover may just revive.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/corporate/microsofts_ibm_moment.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

A Yahoo Proxy Contest: How Good Are Microsoft’s Chances?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft refuses to boost its Yahoo bid, valued at $31 a share a few weeks
| ago. It refuses so thoroughly, in fact, that the Redmond, Wash., software
| giant may be willing to wage a proxy battle to oust Yahoo’s board, according
| to this report. (To do that, Microsoft must nominate a new slate of directors
| for Yahoo within the next three weeks).
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/02/19/a-yahoo-proxy-contest-how-good-are-microsofts-chances/?mod=yahoo_hs

Microsoft Usually Doesn’t Do This Sort of Thing. Except It Does. All The Time.

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft proposed its $31 a share takeover of Yahoo, the deal’s rich
| 61% one-day premium seemed a necessary part of the audacious bid: at a price
| like that, who could refuse?
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/02/15/microsoft-usually-doesnt-do-this-sort-of-thing-except-it-does-all-the-time/?mod=yahoo_hs

How Yahoo went from Web star to Microsoft prey

,----[ Quote ]
| A desperate, expensive bid to beat Google; turf wars among divisions
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/how-yahoo-went-web-star/story.aspx?guid=%7BB4CA2BEB%2D6DCC%2D41E6%2D871D%2DEC0DB6F67DC4%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/34uso2

Microsoft to Authorize Proxy Fight at Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| In an escalation of its fight for Yahoo, Microsoft will authorize a proxy
| fight at the Internet company this week, people briefed on the matter told
| DealBook. Unless Yahoo quickly reverses course and enters into talks,
| Microsoft would then seek to nominate a slate of directors to Yahoo’s board
| by March 13, the final deadline for nominations, and pursue a lengthy
| campaign to oust the board.
`----

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/microsoft-to-authorize-proxy-fight-at-yahoo/index.html?hp

Why Microsoft Should Fret

,----[ Quote ]
| But what if at stake in the battle isn't just Microsoft's position in selling
| ads, but the very survival of its core software business? Microsoft would
| never admit that so much is on the line.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120277476716860601.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

Microsoft to take case to Yahoo shareholders: report

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-take-case-yahoo-shareholders/story.aspx?guid=%7B7F963245%2D5B26%2D4A77%2D8D18%2D4D2122A9D4AE%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/3dpl6n

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is threatening to launch a boardroom coup at Yahoo! within six
|              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| weeks if the internet search engine fails to accept its $45 billion (£23
| billion) hostile takeover proposal or start serious merger talks, The Times
| has learned.
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article3300964.ece?EMC-Bltn=LOXCF1

Options Before Microsoft: Upping Bid; Tender Offer; Hostile Takeover; Pressure
Tactics

,----[ Quote ]
| Hostile board overthrow: This would be the most contentious, and Microsoft
| has indicated its willingness to go through with this if need be: it could
| seek to oust Yahoo's board at its next election; it would have until March 13
| to nominate a new slate of directors. Yahoo has taken "poison pill"
| provisions, and Microsoft have to oust the board to get past these
| provisions.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/080209/1_319741_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft Replies To Yahoo Rejection

,----[ Quote ]
| The response to Yahoo's "no thanks" to a $44.6 billion acquisition held the
| not-so-subtle threat of a more aggressive takeover action by Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| "The Yahoo response does not change our belief in the strategic and financial
| merits of our proposal. As we have said previously, Microsoft reserves the
| right to pursue all necessary steps to ensure that Yahoo!’s shareholders are
| provided with the opportunity to realize the value inherent in our proposal,"
| Microsoft said in their statement.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/02/11/microsoft-replies-to-yahoo-rejection

Microsoft rejects Yahoo! rejection

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Ballmer still wants to swallow Jerry Yang's company.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/11/microsoft_still_wants_yahoo/

Dueling Fools: Microsoft Bear

,----[ Quote ]
| You don't need to watch the 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' commercials to see that
| Microsoft is taking a beating. You see it in the company's financials where
| its online unit, incredibly, is operating at a loss; overheating Xbox 360
| consoles find the company taking a huge warranty hit for a system losing
| market share to the Wii; and the upgrade wave of its flagship operating
| system has been more of a ripple than a tsunami. That last point is
| important. This was supposed to be Microsoft's final feast, the major last
| hurrah for its Windows Vista operating entry and its Office 2007 suite of
| applications before the inevitable embrace of cheaper open source operating
| systems and Web-based apps... In fact, even Microsoft will tell you that its
| fortunes peaked several months ago.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2008/01/23/microsoft-bear-argument.aspx

Is Microsoft All Bark and No Bite Anymore?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm telling you: Microsoft-Yahoo ain't happening. And for those of you who
| say I never admit when I'm wrong: be sure to bring this post up if
| Microsoft-Yahoo ever does happen.
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=is_microsoft_all_bark_and_no_bite_anymor&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
http://tinyurl.com/3ypttg

Excerpts: New Microsoft memo on Yahoo bid

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/132509.asp?source=rss

Microsoft's Last Big Beat: Internet Domination or Death

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/63876-microsoft-s-last-big-beat-internet-domination-or-death?source=yahoo

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Will Microsoft Survive the Next 10 Years?

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not really an expert in this but when I read all the negative
| headlines and articles I ask myself if Microsoft really will survive
| the next 10 years.
|
| [...]
|
| I am pretty sure that the Open Source Community, the new Ubuntu,
| Google and of course Apple are those companies that are ready for
| our century and they will get more and more people that know what
| they really want.
`----

http://websquirrel.blogspot.com/2007/03/will-microsoft-survive-next-10-years.html

P. Graham: Microsoft is Dead