[News] [Rival] Hewlett-Packard Sells Windows Malware Preinstalled

HP Admits to Selling Infected Flash-Floppy Drives

,----[ Quote ]
| Hewlett-Packard has been selling USB-based hybrid flash-floppy drives that
| were pre-infected with malware, the company said last week in a security
| bulletin.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,144207-pg,1/article.html

Quote for the day:

"Windows 98 without Internet Explorer 4 is a working operation system and
Internet Explorer 4.0 is not an vital part of Windows 98."

                --Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

Recent:

The France Shift From No to Abstain -- HP helped Microsoft France do it

| Here's the scoop from Les Echos.fr on France's sudden change from its No vote
| to Abstain. Microsoft France's President Eric Boustouller sent AFNOR a
| letter [PDF] in French, of course. He tells a tale about OOXML and ODF
| progressing side by side and how if OOXML is approved, a group will be
| working hard to make the two more interoperable. Attached was a an HP
| statement of support for OOXML. HP sings the same song. And AFNOR?
|
| [...]
|
| Could it be any more cynical? So, now we know that HP is not supportive of
| Linux and FOSS as we thought. Knock me over with a feather. So, they got them
| to change on the basis of promises for the future. I'm sure there's more to
| the story, of course.

Microsoft dirty tricks, part two

,----[ Quote ]
| So the outside vendor was Hewlett-Packard, one of Microsoft's hardware OEMs,
| which is to say Microsoft's bitch.
|
| The tape disappearance was blamed on HP, which  accepted the blame,
| and the employees directly involved kept expecting there to be
| repurcussions, especially legal ones.  They expected to be deposed by
| Burst lawyers.  But it never happened.
|
| This was, for Microsoft, a perfect ending.
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/02/microsoft_dirty_tric_4.html

Microsoft, HP expand business alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| A new deal announced Wednesday calls for, among other things, more HP
| workers to be trained to sell Microsoft products.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6143540.html

French consumer protectionists are demanding PCs without preinstalled
software

,----[ Quote ]
| The consumer protectionists of the French organization UFC-Que Choisir
| are demanding of the IT group Hewlett-Packard and the vendors Auchan
| and Darty that they offer PCs without preinstalled software.
|
| [...]
|
| UFC-Que Choisir last year also took action against Sony and Apple,
| taking the two companies to court for allegedly putting their
| customers at a disadvantage through proprietary DRM technologies
| and curtailing their choice of devices.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82605/from/rss09

E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
| arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
| system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
| machinations with Intel, HP and Dell.
|
| The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
| described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
| complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP."
|
| The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
| Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
| reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
| famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
| Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers.
`----

http://origin.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_8417811?nclick_check=1

USB flash drive worm arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| The LiarVB-A worm hunts for removable drives such as floppy disks and
| USB memory sticks and then creates a hidden file called autorun.inf to
| ensure a copy of the worm is run the next time it is connected to a
| Windows PC.

Hackers debut malware loaded USB ruse

,----[ Quote ]
| Malware purveyors deliberately left USB sticks loaded with a Trojan
| in a London car park in a bid to trick users into getting infected.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/25/usb_malware/

Security Experts Warn of a Worm Creeping into PCs Via USB Ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Security Experts at MicroWorld Technologies has warned of increased
| occurrences of a Worm with Trojan potentials, which has been
| infecting Enterprise systems and home PCs for the past two weeks.
`----

http://www.spywarehunter.org/entry/security-experts-warn-of-a-worm-creeping-into-pcs-via-usb-ports/

Spyware infection prompts McDonalds MP3 recall

,----[ Quote ]
| Users who connected the McDonalds-branded MP3 player to their
| Windows PC were exposed to spyware code programmed to transmit
| their web passwords and other sensitive information to hackers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/16/mcd_spyware_mp3_recall/

Some viruses come pre-installed

,----[ Quote ]
| From iPods to navigation systems, some of today's hottest gadgets are landing
| on store shelves with some unwanted extras from the factory — pre-installed
| viruses that steal passwords, open doors for hackers and make computers spew
| spam.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080313/ap_on_hi_te/factory_installed_viruses

Small Number of Video iPods Shipped With Windows Virus

,----[ Quote ]
| We recently discovered that a small number - less
| than 1% - of the Video iPods available for purchase
| after September 12, 2006, left our contract manufacturer
| carrying the Windows RavMonE.exe virus. This known
| virus affects only Windows computers...
`----

http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

Apple blames Windows for iPod virus

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/061017/1361931.html?.v=1

Some viruses come pre-installed

,----[ Quote ]
| From iPods to navigation systems, some of today's hottest gadgets are landing
| on store shelves with some unwanted extras from the factory — pre-installed
| viruses that steal passwords, open doors for hackers and make computers spew
| spam.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080313/ap_on_hi_te/factory_installed_viruses

Adware slips between pages of e-book