[News] Call for Hardware Maker to Open Up Specifications

Why are hardware manufacturers keeping specs to themselves?

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, if you think about this for a few more seconds you should realize
| one thing: Having standardized interfaces for devices of the same class would
| cut a lot of costs for hardware makers. Why? Oh well, if they design a brand
| new networking chip and still implement the given standard there would be no
| need of writing a new driver. Wait, there would be no need for per-device
| drivers at all. Implementing a common driver that accesses the standardized
| interface would be enough, for a whole range of devices.
|
| [...]
|
| Personally I have stopped buying hardware which “works” with GNU/Linux, I
| have come to the point where I try only to buy hardware which either comes
| with Free Software drivers from the manufacturer or documentation which
| allows implementation of Free Software drivers.
| This is probably the best way of showing these companies what you demand:
| Freedom.
`----

http://blog.sp.or.at/2008/04/06/why-are-hardware-manufacturers-keeping-specs-to-themselves/

Recent:

Creative climbs down over home brew Vista drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Posting a forum message on its website last weekend, Creative threatened
| Daniel_K with legal action, accusing him of infringing its intellectual
| property. The company removed forum posts from the developer containing links
| to his work.
|
| [...]
|
| Daniel_K is incensed by Creative. "They publicly threatened me, just to show
| their arrogance," he told El Reg by email.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/creative_restores_home_brew_vista_driver_links/

Creative Labs : Product Boards : Sound Blaster : Message to Daniel_K

| To be clear, we are asking you to respect our legal rights in this matter and
| cease all further unauthorized distribution of our technology and IP.  In
| addition we request that you observe our forum rules and respect our right to
| enforce those rules.  If you are in any doubt as to what we would consider
| unacceptable then please request clarification through one of our forum
| moderators before posting.
|
| Phil O'Shaughnessy
| VP Corporate Communications
| Creative Labs Inc.
|
| [...]
|
| My god, you guys got some balls on you, either that or you'r all bordeline
| mad.
|
| He offered a service you guys cant/wont, and in so madde a lot og YOUR
| customers happy about their product again.
|
| Now you wanna whipe him out and keep him silent by threatning about legal
| actions.
|
| This is a beyond retarded, shame on you, shame on you.
`----

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=116332&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Why Vista sounds worse

,----[ Quote ]
| Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
| caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
| Tim Anderson
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/31/microsoft.technology

AMD Releases Production Microcode For All Radeon GPUs

,----[ Quote ]
| In the next step towards open-source 3D support for the R500 and R600 GPUs
| (Radeon X1000 and Radeon HD 2000/3000), AMD has just pushed its production
| microcode into the Mesa/DRM git tree. This is the microcode found in the
| fglrx driver and it covers the Radeon R100 to R600 product families.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_microcode&num=1

AMD Releases Additional R600 GPU Programming Documentation

,----[ Quote ]
| In the second NDA-free documentation dump, AMD has just released programming
| data on the M76 and RS690 graphics processors. While the RadeonHD developers
| have already had these documents, this information will help the free
| software community in understanding the internal workings of AMD's graphics
| processors.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=960&num=1

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

AMD's Framewave toolkit now GPLv3-compatible

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.digitaltippingpoint.com/?q=node/132