Re: 9000 PCs in Swiss schools will switch to Ubuntu only

____/ Ignoramus14041 on Saturday 05 April 2008 20:09 : \____

> On 2008-04-05, Holz <holz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 23:15:22 -0500
>> Ignoramus20845 <ignoramus20845@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Beginning from next term, all computers at schools in the Swiss canton
>>> of Geneva will be switched to Ubuntu Linux only.
>>
>> Yes, they got fed up eating shit. The French police did the same,
>> http://tinyurl.com/23cs4q
>> Schools that migrate here in the US, keep it quite. We
>> did a 400 node high school last month, and the Microsoft consulting
>> group we replaced went nuts. They tried to explain the school board
>> they are making a mistake, went to begging and ended up threatening.
>> Why?
>> Their annual tab was 160K! for software, installation and maintenance.
>> We guaranteed the school not to go over 50K, and did the migration for
>> 5K. The smart principal could not by pass.
>>

> So, what were the threats...

Possibly a combination of variants of the points below (recent and based on
real events in several countries):

How to Royally Annoy National Bodies

,----[ Quote ]
| Guide to future monopolists on how to alienate yourself from National Bodies:
|
|    1. Waste NBs time in reviewing monstrous draft specifications
|    2. Claim that these specs can do everything for anyone by standardising
|    marketing material
|    3. If you don't get your way at a certain level, lobby the superior above.
|    Dont stop! Go all the way to the head of the nation if you think you can!
|    4. Leak press stories to journalists to pressure Ministries to make a
|    decision. Quick!
|    5. Try to shut down TCs if actual technical work is done revealing issues
|    with your plan
|    6. Question Question Question everything (process, fairness, the system,
|    members) when things dont go your way
|    7. Otherwise create another TC with friendly experts
|    8. If the NB allows new members just by paying membership fees, encourage
|    your business partners to join with marketing funds. Stack-stack-stack it
|    high!
|    9. Stalk decision makers, even if it means traveling around the globe with
|    them
|   10. Refuse changes in the spec especially if it breaks your product which
|   you released prior
|   11. Have private interviews with TC members in the guise of funding for
|   their new projects/research grants/interoperability initiatives and
|   conveniently talk about their position on your spec.
|   12. Get your Business Partners to write in form letters. Some don't even
|   bother to change the templates
|   13. Attend TC meetings uninvited by fabricating business cards
|   14. Send Lawyers in to Technical Committee meetings who prefer not to
|   engage in "high-school" debates
|   15. Make rude and inaccurate statements against TC members in public
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/how-to-royally.html

Replace TC with school board or whatever. You probably can see how the same
techniques can be warped to be used in other areas, which they do.

Linux is like a girlfriend; try to stick to one distribution for a lifetime
Swap:  1510068k total,   297552k used,  1212516k free,    45140k cached