[News] Excellent New Proof That Secret Proprietary Code is Insecure

Wikipedia-reading boffins jimmy keyless door to entire universe

,----[ Quote ]
| "If they had made it public they would have found out 20 years ago that it's
| insecure," Kasper said in an interview. "Now it's a little bit too late,
| because it's already built into all the garages and cars."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/03/keeloq_master_key_found/

Well, that's going to cost.

Related:

Why proprietary code is bad for security

,----[ Quote ]
| Tho Skype is using an encrypted protocol, it’s still their own, non-disclosed
| code and property. So we don’t know what it contains.
|
| [...]
|
| It’s time to stop accepting that we are the bad guys, and to stop consuming
| things we just don’t understand (and cannot, because they are proprietary,
| closed-source systems).
|
| Say no to companies, or even governments who treat you like this. Start using
| open sourced products and protocols wherever you can. Even if you could
| still never understand the code used in these systems, there are still lots
| of people who can, and who will examine it. The magic word here is “peer
| review” - your friend or buddy or neighbour may be able to understand all
| that, and to help. No, not with Skype or Windows or any black box from Cisco.
`----

http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=394

Teen hacker re-unlocks Apple's iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year, 17-year-old Geohot was among the first group of hackers to break
| Apple's iron-fisted grasp on the iPhone, a coup that won him a Nissan 350Z
| and 3 8GB iPhones. Apple promptly responded by issuing updated firmware that
| stymied such efforts. Not only did the updates disable modified phones,
| effectively turning them into $400 bricks, they also prevented unlocking
| software from working in many cases. The arms race has persisted ever since.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/11/latest_iphone_hack/

RealPlayer named by StopBadware.org

,----[ Quote ]
| RealPlayer 10.5, it claims, "fails to accurately and completely disclose the
| fact that it installs advertising software on the user's computer." And
| RealPlayer 11, it claims, "does not disclose the fact that it installs
| Rhapsody Player Engine software, and fails to remove this software when
| RealPlayer is uninstalled." Ryan Lukin, PR manager for RealNetworks, disputed
| some of the claims.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10789_3-9862135-57.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Consumer-control industry and their security damnation

.----[ Quote ]
| By some ironic fortune, proprietary vendors like Apple and
| Microsoft will likely always suffer this damnation that their
| consumer-control inspired proprietary nature always brings with
| itself: security problems - exactly the thing they claim to prevent
| by being so control obsessed. You can stay damned with them or you
| can break free.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/consumer_control_industry_and_their_security_damnation

The Security of Free Software

,----[ Headings ]
| 1 SECURE FREEDOM
|
|       1.1 "TRUE FREENESS"
|
|       1.2 "THE COMMUNITY EFFECT"
|
| 2 SECURE TECHNOLOGY
|
|       2.1 "GIVEN ENOUGH EYEBALLS ALL BUGS ARE SHALLOW"
|
|       2.2 "TESTED BY THE BEST"
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/the_security_of_free_software

[Security:] Mozilla Thunderbird vs. Microsoft Outlook

,----[ Quote ]
| For me, I’m going to stick with anything but Outlook for email for the
| reasons I’ve cited above.
`----

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/article.php/3702831

E-mail inventor: I didn't foresee spam

,----[ Quote ]
| He uses Thunderbird, an e-mail application developed by Mozilla, the company
| which distributes the Firefox web browser, but he also has a Gmail account.
|
| He said he once had to use Outlook – “I didn’t find it particularly
| attractive”, and that for a time he blocked all incoming messages from
| Hotmail, “because they used to carry a lot of viruses – though they’ve
| clamped down on that.”
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3525110.ece

How secure are Linux, Window and Mac OS?

http://www.masuran.org/node/29

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

http://www.xomba.com/linux_more_secure_than_windows_national_survey_shows

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

Diebold Can't Sell E-Voting Subsidiary

,----[ Quote ]
| Diebold fails to sell its electronic voting business, changes the
| subsidiary's name to Premier Election Solutions.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136044-c,companynews/article.html

Diebold Voting Machines Vulnerable to Virus Attack

,----[ Quote ]
| An analysis of Diebold's source code shows that a hacker with access to a
| single voting machine could use a virus to affect an election.
|
| [...]
|
| The delayed release of the source-code review meant that David Wagner, an
| associate professor of computer science at the University of California at
| Berkeley and an author of the report, was not able to present his findings at
| a public hearing held on July 30 to discuss the results of the voting system
| review.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,135461/printable.html#

Most vote machines lose test to hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| "The vendors appeared to have designed systems that were not high assurance
| (of security)," said Bishop, a recognized expert on computer security. "The
| security seems like it was added on.''
`----

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/28/VOTING.TMP&tsp=1

The Future of Elections: Open Source Voting

,----[ Quote ]
| But how would you feel if Microsoft Windows was powering the voting booth in
| which you were to select important elected officials? Would you, knowing of
| Microsoft's past security record, feel confident that using this OS and not
| being allowed to inspect the code, feel safe knowing that these machines
| could very well help to dictate the future of your perspective countries?
| Don't feel guilty, I don't really like it either.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2610

E-voting vendor succumbs to California source code demands

,----[ Quote ]
| "... there are serious concerns regarding the motivations and apparent
| personal agendas of a number of the currently proposed examiners," ES&S
| exec StevenPearson wrote in a letter agreeing to turn over the source
| code.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/28/evoting_source_code_disclosure/

John Edwards supports "open source" for voting systems

,----[ Quote ]
| John Edwards has become the first presidential candidate to support
| "open source code" for election systems.
`----

http://www.freepress.org/departments/display/19/2007/2662

Graphics drivers are malware compliant

,----[ Quote ]