[News] Music/Film Industry Forced to Change Business Model (More Like Free S/W)

The geeks were right; music labels bow to technology

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with CNET News.com on Wednesday, Merrill said that a winning
| business model hasn't been found, and that's what he's after.
|
| "I think there are going to be a lot of different models," said Merrill, who
| starts his job as president of EMI's digital arm on April 28. "You can
| imagine supporting music through relevant targeted ads, the Google model.
| There are a dozen other things... We should try them all. We should see what
| the data says and whatever it says, we should follow the data, and follow our
| users, and let them help guide us. We should engage in a broad conversation
| about art."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9911721-7.html?tag=nefd.pulse

Related:

YouTubers given share of ad cash

,----[ Quote ]
| In the US some contributors are already earning thousands of dollars each
| month from their films, according to the video-sharing site.

Youtube for your TV enters its beta phase

,----[ Quote ]
| Watching Youtube videos on your TV set just got more friendly, as
| the "Youtube browser" feature of the Linux based OSD device has entered its
| beta phase.

Google To Acquire YouTube for $1.65 Billion in Stock

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Inc. announced today that it has agreed to acquire YouTube, the
| consumer media company for people to watch and share original videos
| through a Web experience, for $1.65 billion in a stock-for-stock
| transaction.  Following the acquisition, YouTube will operate
| independently to preserve its successful brand and passionate community.
`----

http://www.google.com/press/pressrel/google_youtube.html

Can Natalie Portman encore her YouTube role?

,----[ Overview ]
| Microsoft's new site, Soapbox, hosting some famous pirated clips
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/can-natalie-portman-encore-youtube/story.aspx?guid=%7B123F6B7F%2D22BE%2D4D55%2D8A0F%2D6D81149A15F0%7D
http://tinyurl.com/2523tv

Microsoft Befriends Google's Foes

,----[ Quote ]
| After a government- and monopoly-inspired period in which Microsoft had
| to pretend to be a gentle force for global good, the company is being
| forced to return to its ruthless roots. Ironically, it is doing this
| in part by decrying the unfair practices of a competitor and
| shamelessly sucking up to the Establishment.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/06/microsoft-google-blodget-tech-cx_hb_0306blodget.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/3bewws

Viacom's $1 Billion Lawsuit Of YouTube: Google Replaces Attorneys On The Case

,----[ Quote ]
| The lawsuit was filed in march last year, and in May, Google hired Phil Beck,
| a partner with Bartlit Beck Herman Palenchar & Scott LLP, to lead its
| defense. Beck has represented George W. Bush in Florida during the 2000
| presidential election, and Microsoft (NasdaqGS: MSFT - News) during its
| anti-trust trial.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/080117/1_318813_id.html?.v=1

Legal Titans Glare At Each Other Across Google-Viacom Battlefield

,----[ Quote ]
| The Viacom versus Google case is going to be an interesting showdown.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/03/each_side_digs_.html

Viacom: 'Daily Show' clips just the beginning

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9799914-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20